cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing Up NFS datastores over storage fabric

soadotjpa
Level 3

Good Day,

I am currently backing up my VMWare environment using NetBackup 7.5.0.4 SAN Transport method utilizing iSCSI datastores on a NetApp filer.  I am wanting to set up NFS datastores and back these up within NetBackup but I can't seem to get the traffic for these transport types to traverse the storage fabric.

Is there a way to keep this backup traffic off of my production network and have NetBackup utilize the dedicated storage network for NFS volumes?

My Netbackup master/media server is a standalone server with network connections to the storage and production fabrics.

Within VMWare, my storage network is configured for vmkernel only.  I have no VM traffic set to traverse the vSwitch for storage.  If I am to utilize hotadd with a Netbackup client within the VMWare environment, will I need to place the hotadd VMs network adapter within the storage network, therefore requiring me to add Virtual Machine traffic to the vswitch?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

Once you go NFS, I don't believe so.  Your best bet is actually hot-add with a virtual client acting as the proxy host.

If you continue with VMFS, then SAN transport will be fine.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

teiva-boy
Level 6

Once you go NFS, I don't believe so.  Your best bet is actually hot-add with a virtual client acting as the proxy host.

If you continue with VMFS, then SAN transport will be fine.