cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up 2-node SQL 2008 Cluster Server on Windows 2008

Itegral
Level 6

I am trying to set up a NetBackup policy for a 2 note (fail-over cluster) using agent. Both the nodes are on the same site.

I have done the following;

- Install NetBackup client on each node

- Grant NetBackup service account the dbcreater, sysadmin, and dbowner roles on SQL virtual cluster (Integrated or standard security used)

- Add NetBackup service account to the local admin group on SQL nodes

- Create a standard (not virtual) storage unit............. (Should it be OK?)

- Add both the nodes and virtual name of the cluster to the NetBackup host list

Questions:

1 – While I tried running NetBackup MSSQL client on the active node, it prompted to provide the logon parameters. In the connection properties dialog box, I selected the host as "Active node" and instance as "Virtual name of the SQL cluster" - provide the NetBackup service account credentials (with domain prefix) but it is not accepting at all. It says, the connection can not be established. I used "default" as instance name but no luck - what am I missing here?

2 – How important is to configure “Virtual Storage Units” as per the HA guide (pg. 27)

3 – What else am I missing?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Oddy
Level 5
Employee

Hi,

Install netbackup on both nodes in the cluster. Login as a local administrator with sysadmin rights in sql and open the Netbackup MSSQL Database gui by right click "Run as administrator" and set the sql hosts to be the sql cluster name.

Make sure that you can login to the SQL studio manager and use the same server/instance name in the Netbackup Database gui as you use in the sql studio manager.

Change the netbackup client service to run in the local admin account with sysadmin rights on both nodes.

Use the sql cluster name in the sql policy on the master and create a batch script and add

BROWSECLIENT <sql clustername,same as in policy>

under the NBSERVER line.

Create following log folders on the client,

<install dir>\netbackup\logs\bpcd
<install dir>\netbackup\logs\bphdb
<install dir>\netbackup\logs\dbclient

run the backup and check the dbclient log for errors.

I hope this helps.

/Oddy

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Oddy
Level 5
Employee

Hi,

Install netbackup on both nodes in the cluster. Login as a local administrator with sysadmin rights in sql and open the Netbackup MSSQL Database gui by right click "Run as administrator" and set the sql hosts to be the sql cluster name.

Make sure that you can login to the SQL studio manager and use the same server/instance name in the Netbackup Database gui as you use in the sql studio manager.

Change the netbackup client service to run in the local admin account with sysadmin rights on both nodes.

Use the sql cluster name in the sql policy on the master and create a batch script and add

BROWSECLIENT <sql clustername,same as in policy>

under the NBSERVER line.

Create following log folders on the client,

<install dir>\netbackup\logs\bpcd
<install dir>\netbackup\logs\bphdb
<install dir>\netbackup\logs\dbclient

run the backup and check the dbclient log for errors.

I hope this helps.

/Oddy