Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Exchange 2010 with Netbackup 7.5.0.6

owen1234
Level 3

Guys,

Need help here.

Where to check the service account used for backing up Exchange 2010?

I logon to the Exchange server and check the "Netbackup client service", "Netbackup legacy client service". They are just using Local system account, is that already have sufficient rights to backup Exchange 2010?

PLease help. Thanks!

Also, I find there is a big different for the requirements from Backup Exec as it require a lot of permission in order to backup Exchange.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

In my experience you can backup exchange with the local system account as long you are only backing up the databases

But you often run into problems when doing restore when running with the local system account, so at least the netbackup client service needs to run as a domain user with permission to write into the exchange recoverydb

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

owen1234
Level 3

I found this in Netbackup 7.5 Admin Guide Exchange. Does it mean if I only backup Exchange 2010 DAG, local system account is sufficient?

Configuring the log on account for the NetBackup Client Service for

NetBackup for Exchange on Windows

By default, the NetBackup Client Service uses  “Local System” account to log on

as. A different account is required for the following operations: MAPI mailbox

and public folder items backups (Exchange 2007 and earlier) and any operations

that use Granular Recovery Technology (GRT).

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If your backup is successful - status 0, and you can browse for backups and see all Information stores, then all is fine.

(If I am not mistaken, BE does GRT backup by default. Even with backup directly to tape, restore request will stage entire IS to a temp folder which allows individual item restore.)

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

In my experience you can backup exchange with the local system account as long you are only backing up the databases

But you often run into problems when doing restore when running with the local system account, so at least the netbackup client service needs to run as a domain user with permission to write into the exchange recoverydb

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue