cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up NFS

Marco_Barragan
Level 4
Hi all,

I have a little question, i have a server wich i back up that have an NFS, so some actual files are in another server and i use them following the NFS... The NFS is mounted in a fle system on the server i back up with veritas.

The policy is configured to follow NFS and cross mount points... Just now when i checked to confirm if the files on the other server (The NFS server) where being backed up, i saw that only the directory structure is there but no the actual fiels... Does this configuration only maintain the directories or shoul have it backed up the files???

How do i back up the files on the NFS server without installing netbackup agents on the other server...
10 REPLIES 10

zippy
Level 6
Marco,

You also have to set the policy to:

Follow NFS

its above the
Cross Mount Points

JD

Stumpr2
Level 6
Ok, you already have selected "Follow NFS" and "Cross mount points" then perhaps there is a timeout that needs to be adjusted.

The NFS Access Timeout property specifies the number of seconds that the backup process waits when processing the mount table before considering an NFS file system unavailable. Default: 5 seconds.

I have mine set to 10 and it works fine.

BSMessage was edited by:
Bob Stump

Marco_Barragan
Level 4
I already tok the easy way out... it was an emergency and i backed up the NFS server... but still i want to make the "Follow NFS" back up work...

I have been looking for the option where to set the NFS timeout, in my master server properties, under timeouts doesn't show that option and all my timeouts are set to 300 seconds... quiet a long time...

Where exactly do i have to set that time, is it a client parameter?

Stumpr2
Level 6
It's on the master server properties
->Netbackup Management
-->Host Properties
--->Master Servers
open the properties page for the master server
->Properties
--> UNIX Server

NFS access timeout

There is a NOTE on the help page:
This property appears for UNIX master servers only

If you have a windoes master server then you may not be able to find it. But perhaps you could check the windoes Netbackup Admin Guide I or II for a similiar functionality.

BSMessage was edited by:
Bob Stump

zippy
Level 6
Marco,

I hate to give you more info, youll just give bob points anyhow.

Good luck.

JD

Stumpr2
Level 6
This is a good place to award me more pointsMessage was edited by:
Bob Stump

Stumpr2
Level 6
This is a freebieMessage was edited by:
Bob Stump

Stumpr2
Level 6
James :)

The points are not redeemable for ca$h.
I didn't even get a T shirt when I made master!
I have had an offer for a beer and barBque from Randy!
...When I get to Houston.
LOL
BobBS

Marco_Barragan
Level 4
Thankx a lot Bob... I hate seeing you guys fight over the points... i don't have any points yet... though i have been using netbackup for like 3 month now... i had to restore a whole windows 2003 the other time... it was a nightmare...

Should the points be about helping people and feeling good about it??? hahhaha not even i believe that one...

Thanx again Bob

Stumpr2
Level 6
Marco,
James was just kidding. He would have come back and helped.
It took me awhile to get used to his humor, but he is an OK guy!
He does like to help and he is VERY knowledgeable.

Enjoy!