cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Opscenter SQL Anywhere DB via Sybase script

pitt2017
Level 3

Can someone please verify wheather or not it is possible or supported to use the sample \Veritas\NetBackup\DbExt\sybase\sybase_full_backup.cmd script to perform a policy based backup of the OpsCenter DB?
 I want to obtain a backup via a NB policy instead of just dumping the files locally.

When i fill in the proper fields I recieve the following undocumented error below:

Error bpbrm (pid=6042) from client nb-ops: <"C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\DbExt\sybase\sybase_full_backup.cmd"> failed with status: <9009>
Error bpbrm (pid=6042) from client nb-ops: ERR - bphdb exit status = 6: the backup failed to back up the requested files
03/21/2014 10:26:32 - Info bphdb (pid=7312) done. status: 6: the backup failed to back up the requested files
03/21/2014 10:26:32 - end writing

I am aware there is a DBBACKUP batch script that backs this database up locally, but this is not what I am looking for as a solution. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I think if it would work that way Symantec would reccomend it and provide the process to do it .. but they do not and their method of protection is to do the dumps http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129948

You could incorporate this into the OpsCenter servers backup running the commands in a bpstart_notify.bat file so that the dump is captured during the backup

Best stick to a supported method

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I think if it would work that way Symantec would reccomend it and provide the process to do it .. but they do not and their method of protection is to do the dumps http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129948

You could incorporate this into the OpsCenter servers backup running the commands in a bpstart_notify.bat file so that the dump is captured during the backup

Best stick to a supported method

pitt2017
Level 3

Thank you Mark for your suggestions.

I ask this only because it seems logical that this would somehow be supported seeing as the OpsCenter DB runs under Sybase and NetBackup has a Sybase specific backup policy / script to handle Sybase backups.

Is there anything that you could think of that would cause the Opscenter DB to not be supported under a normal Sybase backup policy?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

What did you use for the username and password (I believe it is DBA and SQL)

It may be the type of database as it is the Stbase Server Anywhere - so maybe it uses different command sets.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Adaptive Server Anywhere and Third-Party Backup

iAnywhere Solutions, at time of writing, does not endorse any third-party backup software to be used with an Adaptive Server Anywhere database. Only backup tools included with Adaptive Server Anywhere can be used to back up a live database. You should be aware there are some products that claim they back up Sybase databases, but this may not include Adaptive Server Anywhere databases.

for more info, see http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1025501