Level 3

Hi,

My backup solution is as follows:

Master Server

Windows 2003 Enterprise edition R2

NBU 7

MSL4048 Robotic library with 2x tape drives

Issue

The configuration I have is that the RAC solution consists of 3 nodes (each node is a media server in its own right)

I have a 3 individual policies that backs up the individual servers normal files which works ok.  I then have a policy for each individual database on the rac servers (3 Databases).  These policies basically just use the first node (A) as a client and this works ok when backing up a database when it resides on the first node, when the database is say on the 2nd or 3rd (B or C) node it usally fails with an error (54) Timed out connecting to client, I presume that this is because the server is expecting things back from node a but if it returns things for node B or C it thinks there is an issue.

I'm not sure what the best way to resolve this, should I group the media servers storage units together so they can use whichever nodes storage they are on? Or does this require some other config to make it work, if I put each node in the client list is netbackup clever enough to backup the database off the node that its on, or will it try and backup the database off each node so always produce 2 failures and 1 success? Or is this an issue with the template that you setup on the client server, is it possible to put the 3 node names into this?

Thank you in anticipation

Kind Regards

-Darren

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Darren,

You should be able to create an app_cluster host in the emm, same as you would in a failover cluster. Refer to Netbackup high avialability guide for the commands.

What this will do for you is create a "host" in the emm called databaseA_name, which relates to the virtual name / ip of that database. You add all three physical hosts to the app_cluster and then configure the storage unit with the value of the app_cluster's name.

If the IP for the DB moves to another host, NBU simply follows it and connect locally.

That is offcourse if RAC moves the IP for you. If you some other method to failover the clients (can't remember what Oracle calls it), we might need to think again.

Let me know

R

Marianne
Level 6

See this TN for commands:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH49325

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It sounds like your each RAC nodes are configured as SAN Media Server that is licensed as Enterprise Client. Right?

If so, sorry, I'm not sure you can configure Oracle type backup with media server groups.

Darren_Otter
Level 3

Thankyou everyone for your responses! I will be back in the office on Monday now and will report back how your advice went.

Much appreciated

Kind regards

-Darren

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi Darren,

Did it work?

R