cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Solaris 2.51 with Windows NBU 5.1

Michael_Glas
Level 3
Hello,

I need to backup a Solaris 2.51 client with a Windows Netbackup 5.1 Server MP3. As far as i know this isn't officially possible. Anyone have any ideas? I can fudge it if necessary.

Many thanks,
Michael.
6 REPLIES 6

Stumpr2
Level 6
You can run an older version of NetBackup on the client. It is OK to mix version levels as long as the master server is greater than or equal to the highest version in the environment.

I have some HP-UX clients running NetBackup 4.5 because they are unsupported at 5.x This happens frequently.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Michael_Glas
Level 3
Thanks Bob for the response. I have not tried yet but i will. As far as i know i will have to run Solaris client version 3.2 on Solaris 2.51 which is not officially compatible with 5.1. But perhaps it can be forced someway - as long as it makes the backups. I dont know when i can attempt this work and i will update this forum after.

Regards,
Michael.

Joe_Despres
Level 6
Partner
Maybe you can NFS mout the data onto a system that has a nbu client version that is OK?

Stumpr2
Level 6
> Maybe you can NFS mout the data onto a system that has a nbu client version that is OK?

Yep, that has worked for me in the past. That is the only time I ever backed up a nfs mount. It is a slower than backing up directly from the client but it does work!

Michael_Glas
Level 3
I am unable to nfsmount because of the bug in Solaris 8 whereby if the system goes down for whatever reason it causes the other system to hang. I am onsite on Thursday and will try Bob's first suggestion to install a lower version client and if that doesnt work we may blow the dust off the networker configuration.

Cheers,
Michael.

Michael_Glas_2
Level 3
I can no longer log into my previous account and created a new account with same username. Hence i cant mark this as closed or answered.
I no longer have authorization to try to get nbu working on this system. Instead they will rdist the small db running on it and ufsdump the file systems / and /var.
Thanks so much to all you who tried to help.

Regards,
Michael.