cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up VMs as flat files

gr_joel
Level 3

I'm running NetBackup Enterprise 6.5.1.  I'm trying to backup a RedHat 5 client.  On one of the volumes of that server has some VMware virtual machine backups.  These aren't running VMs..they're just a copy of some .vmdk and .vmx files.

When I try to back them up, I get:
Error bpbrm (pid=23175) from client dedupnfs: ERR - Cannot lstat myvm.vmx. Errno = 22: Invalid argument

I found Document ID: 276790  (seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/276790.htm) which talks about Errno22 when backing up .dsk files.  I'm not sure it relates, since this is only .vmx and .vmdk files.  Also, we're not looking for any NetBackup/VMware integration -- it should just treat these are regular files. That's why I'm not sure I understand the reference to a redo log.  But just to be safe, we did move to using explicit paths (instead of ALL DRIVES) -- no change.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

lu
Level 6
The files are on a NFS server ? or local ? which filesystem ?

gr_joel
Level 3
The client is local on a a RedHat 5 machine, but the .vmdk/.vmx files in question are NFS mounted.  The filesystem appears to be fuse?  Here's the mount command results:

fuse on /.exports type fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other)

lu
Level 6
Could you try a direct NFS mount instead of fuse ?

gr_joel
Level 3
Unfortunately not.  There's some magic involved in the application that requires fuse.  I've opened a Symantec support ticket.  I'll update this when I hear back.