cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Windows 2012 R2 server with Netbackup version 7.0.1

BalajiP
Level 3

Hi,

I need your inputs to configure a backup for windows 2012 R2 server with the Netbackup client version 7.0.1.

I have verified the OS compatability list and the minumum netbackup version to support 2012 is 7.5.0.6. But, the Netbackup master server version 7.0.1 and need to protect few new 2012 servers which are critical as there may be delay in upgrading the version to latest due to process. So, please suggest me if there is any way to protect 2012 servers with 7.0.1 client version.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

In my view you need to upgrade Netbackup to a windows 2012 R2 Supported version. Everything else will jeopardize data security.

As a alternative dump data from the Windows 2012 R2 server to a file share residing on a server that is supported by Netbackup 7.01

Thankyou Nicolai.......

Thanks Nicolai for quick response.

We are currently planning to upgrade teh Netbackup version to latest supported version, but we have one more challenge if we upgrade. we have some critical servers running on windows 2003 OS. I believe, from 7.7 version, windows 2003 OS is not supported. So, we are in confusion state on upgrade. Please provide your suggestion...

Thank You.

Nicolai, Also provide your inputs on suitable version of Netbackup to protect both windows 2003 and windows 2012 OS. Thanks.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You can still backup W2003 clients using 7.0.1 client software to NBU 7.7 or 8.0 master/media server.

It really makes no sense to stick to old, unsupported Backup software just for the sake of equally unsupported OS's.

So, upgrade your NBU server(s) to supported NBU version, upgrade/install supported OS's with new NBU software, and leave the W2003 servers on 7.0.1. The backups will work. You just cannot log support calls as the OS and NBU versions are no longer supported.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What Marianne says, is what I also recommend.