cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up a cluster client

bectaylor76
Level 3

Hello all! 

I am currently configuring some cluster clients in my NBU environment and I have some questions on how to add them the policies.  So below is my senario.

Production site:

physical node A

physical node B

Virtual node A

Dev site:

physical node A

physical node B

Virtual node B

There is a filesystem that can be on either virtual node at any time.  The filesystem that can failover to either virtual node needs a special retention of 7 years.  I am stuck on how I would configure this without getting errors.    Let me know if I need to explain further.

Bec Taylor

2 REPLIES 2

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

1) physical  - in this policy add the name of the physical servers and for your backup selection you can pick the C drive and  Shadow copy / system state  - also any other drives that must be backed up that are NOT a shared resource ( usually you only need C and the SCC/SS)

2) virtual - find out the virtual name of the server - the name that will always have the shared resources. use this name as the client name and for backup selection choose the shared drives only.

other option is 1 policy using the virtual name and getting C SCC/SS and the shared drives - but that means you would not get anything from the other physical server  that it is currently not pointing to.

To install - install NB client on both physical servers - using the physical server name as the client name in the install - do not worry about the virtual shared server name - just use that in the policy - it will still backup just fine.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In addition to JH's excellent post, you can also find documentation in "NBU in Highly Available Environments Admin Guide" http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3678