cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up directory trees

pete_saario
Level 3

Hello !!

I might have simple question, but I hven´t found answer from web or manuals. I have to backup only directory trees with access lists withn NetBackup 6.0, 6.5 and 6.5.2, from windows and unix servers, with windows medai server. So, how do I do it?

Is sit simply selection list  /*. and \*. or /s/e or is there somewhere some options I can use ?

Thanks for Yout time.

/pete

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

sdw303 wrote

"Nor does NetBackup have the ability to reapply file security (ownership, protection, access lists) if these are accidentally changed."

Yes it does, but I would not wish that on anybody, easier to just change it or restore an older version of the file ( had to do it once)

as to pete's question - netbackup is best with a generic list like E:\

I know of no way to grab files based on acl's unless you write your own script.  but if you then supply a list of files, that list is going to sllooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww down the backup if it is very long.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

NetBackup does not have a configuration option to select only paths/files that have associated/attached access lists.

Nor does NetBackup have the ability to re-apply file security (ownership, protection, access lists) if these are accidentally changed.

I'm afraid it's ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, or specific trees, or specific paths, or specific files - but you do have the option of two types of incremental, i.e. cummulative (everything since the last full), or differential (everything since the last backup - be it full, cummultaive or differential).

The path specification format depends upon the client type (and thus policy type) being secured.  Windows is different to Unix is different to OpenVMS - and these are all different to "database" policy types.

Message Edited by sdw303 on 02-09-2009 06:59 PM

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

sdw303 wrote

"Nor does NetBackup have the ability to reapply file security (ownership, protection, access lists) if these are accidentally changed."

Yes it does, but I would not wish that on anybody, easier to just change it or restore an older version of the file ( had to do it once)

as to pete's question - netbackup is best with a generic list like E:\

I know of no way to grab files based on acl's unless you write your own script.  but if you then supply a list of files, that list is going to sllooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww down the backup if it is very long.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hey :)

How do you restore just ownership, protection and ACLs for paths/files that exist, but not restore any actual paths/files that have since been removed?  Can this be done, if so how?  Thanks.

pete_saario
Level 3

Thanks for Your answers !!

This was what I tried to avoid of, start writing pre- and post-scripts.

The world it´s not ready yet.

/pete

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

to sdw303 

Document ID: 275057
http://support.veritas.com/docs/275057  E-Mail this document to a colleague  

DOCUMENTATION: How to restore NT File System permissions only (including share permissions if applicable) to an existing folder or as a new folder

This is where I started on that horrid day,  what I did got much more involved and had the assistance of a very good man from Symantec support.

I do not have my notes of all I did, and I would talk anybody out of asking me to do it again.