cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up large data set across multiple LTO tapes?

TsAdmin
Level 3

Hi, we are having backup about 5tb of size. we are using LTO 7(9tb). the issue we have are when a new backup process called the same tape and start backing up the file, it when well until in the tape become almost full. when that happen, the backup process exited with error 84. but from my previous experience with LTO 5, the backup will proceed with the second tape called and the process continue. 

how can we set this in netbackup, to span large backup to multiple tapes? is there any setting that i've missed out? 

2 REPLIES 2

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

the error 84 comes from physical state of media. It is not a consequnce of a configuration error. So check the media, there must be something wrong with it.

Spanning larger backups accross more pieces of media is a common feature of NetBackup, there is no need to switch it on somewhere.

Regards

Michal

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

spanning media should be allowed by default, but it can be turned off.

If you check bpgetconfig and look for ...  (it should be set to NO)

DISALLOW_BACKUPS_SPANNING_MEDIA = NO

Status 84 is an I/O error from the device driver - I don;t think you can just state that it 'is' media at fault.  Sure it might well, be , and the vast majority of 84s  may be spefic media related, but not always.

If the issue happenes on multiple different media, it's probably suggestive that it isn't related to a single bad media.

Looking to see what the logs show (bptm as starting point) / Activity Monitor details would be the first thing to do, though it maybe necessary to read thae tape in question back and see what's on it (scsI_command -map would be my preference) as wel as spefic testing (eg, different drives, different media).