cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Cluster File System

MyNameIsTarek
Level 2

Hi all,

We have four (04) servers running RHEL 7, they are all part of the same Veritas Cluster. They share six (06) File systems (CFS), my question is how can we backup those file systems using the available servers which means, if the four (04) servers were up, we will spread the backup between them all, if a server is down, the backup will be spread between the remaining three (03) servers and so on.

The setup we are looking for does not need any manual intervention.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

A solution could be the following.

• create 6 VCS cluster resources with only hostname and IP.
  • create 6 backup policies, one for each hostname and associate one CFS as file list to each policy
  • create a rule to VCS to spread these 6 hostnames resources to the 4 cluster nodes.
  • run the backups.

If I remember well there are rules that allow you to do this automatically within VCS and be sure that you will not have more than 2 resources on the same server if all servers are up.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

StefanosM
Level 6

A solution could be the following.

• create 6 VCS cluster resources with only hostname and IP.
  • create 6 backup policies, one for each hostname and associate one CFS as file list to each policy
  • create a rule to VCS to spread these 6 hostnames resources to the 4 cluster nodes.
  • run the backups.

If I remember well there are rules that allow you to do this automatically within VCS and be sure that you will not have more than 2 resources on the same server if all servers are up.

Marianne
Level 6
What is stored on the CFS filesystems? Chances are that that it is some sort of database and not regular files and folders, right? How are the VCS service groups configured? This info will help to determine backup config.

MyNameIsTarek
Level 2

Many thanks for you replies:

@ Marianne: Please find my answers below

What is stored on the CFS filesystems?

5 filesystems have only regular files and 1 filesystem has postgresql databases.

How are the VCS service groups configured?

I've attached the part of main.cf containing the configuration.

Thanks again.

MyNameIsTarek
Level 2

Thanks Stephanos for your help

I alos thank Marianne for her assistance

Regards