cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Completed Successfully but no data to restore

Velmabii
Level 4

Dear All,

I have created a New policy (Test), for windows server selected one drive for backup (the drive is assigned from storage), assigned a new volume for this policy "test". Without any error the backup completed sucessfully, but when I try to restore I'm getting an error stating server doesnot contain any backups for the client.

Kindly advice me were I went wrong, attached the Policy details, Backup completed sucessfully task and the error I get when I tried to restore.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ashudhoundiyal
Level 3

Hi Velmabii,

It is very simple. Whatever name of client you're definiing in your policy, in backup restore windows, you need to sepecify exactly same name to restore back your data. Over here your backup shows client name as 172.16.1.217 and policy type "STANDARD". Make sure that you specify this name in the source client name and policy type standard. Also make sure that period is correctly defined where your backup fa

From above click on Specify Netbackup Machine and Policy Type. Specify the IP address if not present in the client list. Select IP address in the source client and if restoreing on the same client, select IP address on destination client too. Select Standard in the policy type.

regards

Ashutosh

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As per error message it looks like you are trying the master server as client and destination. As per backup successfull it shows the ip 172.16.1.217. Why you are using IP ? Make sure the communication between client and master is working fine.

Kef_Ee
Level 2
Partner

Hi, you mentioned it's a Windows machine. You should not choose "Standard" policy type. For Windows backup, choose "MS-Windows" policy type. During restore, you need to specify "MS-Windows" policy type as well.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You've not set the source client to 172.16.1.217. Currently you've selected the master / backup server blr-bkp-irms to restore from.

When you open the BAR Gui go to File > Specify the Netbackup Machines and Policy Type and set it the source client to the backed up client.

Marianne
I agree with above excellent posts. Please use hostnames in Policy. Not IP. And Windows client should be MS-Windows policy type. If you specify the IP address as Source Client and select Standard as Policy type, you should be able to see backup files.

Velmabii
Level 4

Hi All,

I had tried both MS-Windows/Standard in policy type (while taking backup and restoring) 

Policy I had mentioned hosname, took backup and tried to restore, still getting the same error.

RiaanBadenhorst

Ok lets do this again.

1. open the BAR Gui go to File > Specify the Netbackup Machines and Policy Type
  2. Your policy says Standard so you must specify Standard in the policy type
  3. For server leave it set "blr-bkp-irms"
  4. For the source client put the IP address that was reported in the job details (ideally this should be the client name but you seem to have an issue with name resolution)
  5. For the destination client put the IP address that was reported in the job details

Note, make sure to press add when you're adding the IP address to the source sections.

sksujeet
Level 6

Make sure the client name that you are using in policy should be exactly same in the Source client for restore. If it is FQDN use fqdn, show us the screen that I pasted here for your referral. If you still get the error message try to do nslookup on the client and check if it is communicating properly with the Master Server on IP and hostname.

Marianne

You need to ensure that the search criteria matches the settings at the time of backup.

Initial parameters that you need to double-check: 

Source Client Name - this has to match the client name in Policy tab exactly

Policy Type - this has to match the policy type that was in place at the time of backup.

Please do the following to verify that we have valid, unexpired backups:

Open Reports in the NBU GUI.

Select Client Backups report.
Leave default of All Clients and select 'earliest avalable' checkbox.

Save the resulting report as .txt file and upload the file as File attachment.

Please also show us full policy config. From cmd, run this command
bppllist <policy-name> -U
(command is in ...\netbackup\bin\admincmd )
Copy the text output and paste here.

RiaanBadenhorst

His job was taken using the IP address, probably due to name resolution issues, or he specified the IP and not the name in the policy. So the IP would reflect in the catalog.

Marianne
And now he is searching for master server hostname as Source Client.... This is why I am asking for the info that I did. Some sort of education path....

Velmabii
Level 4

Just to make clear, I have only Backup server which acts as a master and media server, from storage I have allocated a drive to backup server. In that drive I had kept some files,

- I'm trying to take backup of those files

- Deleted those files

- Trying to restore

I had changed Client name with the Hostname, I had run the catalog backup. Once the catalog backup is completed will try and update you.

Velmabii
Level 4

In my case Master server, Media server and client all are same

sksujeet
Level 6

In that case it should be very simple and working, can you pleas paste the screenshot what I posted above. Just put all the field and paste it here to see how it looks. In that case all the 3 sections of the BAR should be same.

Marianne
What does catalog backup have to do with this? Please show us the Policy config that I have asked for as well as the Client Backups report. We are trying our best to help you here. Please help us to help you.

Marianne

One more thing - many changes to policy type and client name in the policy is just going to confuse you more.

Keep them the same. 
Otherwise you have to try and remember what the client name and policy type was selected for each backup attempt.

Each backup job is stored in the Image catalog with the parameters in the policy at that point in time.

When you change anything and run another backup, the new backup is stored in the catalog with the new parameters.

To restore from backup 1, you need to know what the client name and policy type was for backup1.

To restore from backup 2, you need to know what the client name and policy type was for backup2.

And so on.... 

PrathapReddy
Level 4
Certified

Hi,

Under master server select the hostname(try to give the FQDN name), and under the source client select the IP address rather than the client hostname and policy type as ms-windows and try..

Riaan has already clearly explaied about it. hope it will help.

add the below lines in the /etc/hosts entries:

I.Paddress  I.P address

This is due to you are trying to take backup with IP address than the hostname.

PrathapReddy
Level 4
Certified

Hi There,

also can you check if the file you are backing up is under exclude list.

Velmabii
Level 4

hi all, Sorry stuck in another issue will share the things which you had asked at the earliest, thanks for you help and support

ashudhoundiyal
Level 3

Hi Velmabii,

It is very simple. Whatever name of client you're definiing in your policy, in backup restore windows, you need to sepecify exactly same name to restore back your data. Over here your backup shows client name as 172.16.1.217 and policy type "STANDARD". Make sure that you specify this name in the source client name and policy type standard. Also make sure that period is correctly defined where your backup fa

From above click on Specify Netbackup Machine and Policy Type. Specify the IP address if not present in the client list. Select IP address in the source client and if restoreing on the same client, select IP address on destination client too. Select Standard in the policy type.

regards

Ashutosh