I have problem with Fiber channel backup. My condition is at the following:
1. MSL 4048 with four tapedrive
2. Two San switch that is used four redundancy (Servers are connected to either lan switches and san switches)
3. NBU 8.0 with the required licenses for SAN client and SAN shared Storage option
4. 15 ESXi hosts with lots of machines on it.
5. about 30 virtual machines and 5 physical hosts are in back up process.
6. The current connection type is lan.
7. I have one master and 4 media servers.
Now I would like to change the type of connection to Fiber. I dont know if there is a config that has to be made in NBU or not. I have read most of the articles in the Veritas site but I couldn't get the solution.
If you want to read from VMware through SAN and write to tape it's possible by changing the zoning to expose VMware datastores to your media servers. It's not NBU job so not documented in NBU documentation, you need to talk to your SAN admins to achieve this.
Now a bit of warning regarding this setup - NBU won't be able to multiplex multiple snapshots from VMware when using SAN backup method to tape. You can only stream one snapshot per tape. So depending on many factors you may even see performance degradation if you used multiplexing previously.