Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Data through SAN Switch

greatashkan
Level 3

Hello,

I have problem with Fiber channel backup. My condition is at the following:

1. MSL 4048 with four tapedrive

2. Two San switch that is used four redundancy (Servers are connected to either lan switches and san switches)

3. NBU 8.0 with the required licenses for SAN client and SAN shared Storage option

4. 15 ESXi hosts with lots of machines on it.

5. about 30  virtual machines and 5 physical hosts are in back up process.

6. The current connection type is lan.

7. I have one master and 4 media servers.

Now I would like to change the type of connection to Fiber. I dont know if there is a config that has to be made in NBU or not. I have read most of the articles in the Veritas site but I couldn't get the solution. 

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you want to read from VMware through SAN and write to tape it's possible by changing the zoning to expose VMware datastores to your media servers. It's not NBU job so not documented in NBU documentation, you need to talk to your SAN admins to achieve this.

Now a bit of warning regarding this setup - NBU won't be able to multiplex multiple snapshots from VMware when using SAN backup method to tape. You can only stream one snapshot per tape. So depending on many factors you may even see performance degradation if you used multiplexing previously.

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

To Mouse - I havent heard about these multiplexing restrictions. Actually, I have setups with VMware backups over SAN mpx-ed to tape.

Certain mpx restrictions exist for SAN Client, but not for VM backup over SAN.

Regards

Michal

Mouse

I stand corrected. I had a customer with this problem and this is what they were told by support at the time but apparently they got it fixed with a patch.

In any case I would suggest to use at least two HBAs and zone tape and VMware to different ports to avoid performance issues.

Thanks for your replies. I will check more and make you aware if sth happend again.