cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Domain Controllers using backup operators

benryan911
Level 2

Hi,

I am new to Netbackup and hold responsibilities to backup domain controllers.

what is the least privileges do to the backup domain controllers without domain admins? can backup operators will do?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

When backing up the Shadow Copy Components of a DC you are backing up all AD components

I have known people use the local system account without issue but if you are backing up to disk and want to do a GRT backup of AD then it requires a domain admin account as it needs to access every component of AD during the backup and more importantly during a restore

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

When backing up the Shadow Copy Components of a DC you are backing up all AD components

I have known people use the local system account without issue but if you are backing up to disk and want to do a GRT backup of AD then it requires a domain admin account as it needs to access every component of AD during the backup and more importantly during a restore

Hope this helps

benryan911
Level 2

how about just the system state backup only? do really require domain admin?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Have you tried it? If you get status 0 then you are good - usually the local system account if fine for a straight Shadow Copy Components backup (do not use System State - that is for Win 2000 only!)

benryan911
Level 2

how to configure that to use local system account?

I got an error 58. 

forget to ask, now I am also trying to install netbackup client remotely to a child domain but have an error access is denied.

previously the other DC were installed by other which already quit. so I am freshly take this into account. really 0 knowledge.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

By default the NetBackup services use the Local System account - double click a service to see your options.

Error 58 means not connecting to the client which means the client is not installed, not running or the clients name cannot be resolved

For the other domain just copy the PC_Clnt folder across to the other domain and then install the client locally from the x86 or x64 directory within the PC_Clnt folder