cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Job still running after Client removed from policy

adp1
Level 3

Greetings,

I have a policy set up containing many clients.   If I remove a single client from that policy, the next time the policy is scheduled to run, it still creates a job for the removed client.   Is there a way, other than stopping/starting NetBackup to permanently remove that client from the database?  

Master & Media Servers are Linux SUSE 10, Netbackup 6.5.3

Your feedback is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stumpr2
Level 6
Sorry
netbackup stop
netbackup start

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

rjrumfelt
Level 6
<install_path>/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbpemreq -updatepolicies

Do this as soon as you remove clients from a policy.  This command updates NBU's scheduler.

There was a very very similar thread posted a few months back dealing with this problem also, but you would probably have to know what you were looking for in order to find it in a search:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-continues-submit-and-execute-policy-even-th...

adp1
Level 3

After running the nbpemreq -updatepolicies command last night and when I checked today I am still seeing failed jobs for clients that have been removed from policies.   Is there anything else I can do?   Is this a known issue, and if so, is it fixed in any of the release post 6.5.3?      We make changes to policies almost daily, and the business simply will not allow us to stop/start NBU every time we make a change to a policy.  

Stumpr2
Level 6
Sorry
netbackup stop
netbackup start

Will_Restore
Level 6
"We make changes to policies almost daily"

Sorry, but I think that is bad policy
How effective can the restore plan be with constant change?

adp1
Level 3

rjrumfelt
Level 6
Outside of nbpemreq -updatepolicies, if that does not work for you then you will have to stop/start NBU

Why are you having to make so many changes to the environment?

And do you have a system of tracking these changes?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
New servers coming in - old servers being decomped. (add a server/remove a server)

Just a note to adp1  - make sure that only 1 person is making the changes.
if you have more then 1 netbackup console open and more then one person making changes you end up with the db having issues as to who's config should be correct for the db.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
Since you are contstantly making changes, are you doing anything to ensure that the changes take place as soon as you make them?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I add the client to the policy and save the policy
I then go to properties/clients and I see the client - (that tells me it did make it into the policy)
I open properties of The client and add "other servers" and media servers to the client.
I might make a change to excludes if I know ahead of time, and I change the vss/vsp

We have "change control" for new servers that requires me to acknowledge that I added it to netbackup, and the next day I have to acknowledge that the backup was successful.  If I do not do that then I get an email that that CC is still waiting for me to finish my step for the server setup.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
I was just wondering if you used the -updatedpolicies flag to make the changes stick once you've made them

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I have never used that.  If I do the update in the gui once I apply the change, I would assume that netbackup runs that in the background.

rjrumfelt
Level 6

But I've seen instances where that did not happen