cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup MS SQl server via backup LAN

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi, my master and media servers are NBU 7.1 on windows 2008 r2. We have setup a dedicated backup LAN and would like to direct all backup traffic to go through backup LAN. For normal file level backups, it works OK. But for MS SQL backup, I am not sure how to configure it to backup over the backup LAN. We have MS SQL 2005 (OS is windows 2003) and MS SQL 2008 (OS is windows 2008). I tried to read through the NetBackup for SQL administrator's guide but was unable to get it work. Can anyone give me some advices? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Unlike file system backups where the client only ever communicates with the Media Server, SQL backups, when they run their bch file, communicate directly with the Master Server so the issue is quite possibly between Master and Client rather than Media and Client

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

abhilash945
Level 3

Make host entries in both master server and the client with the backup n/w IPs. Try to ping with host names, it should go via backup IPs. That’s it you are done.

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

thanks for your replies. I have edited the host files in both master/media servers and the client to include the backup LAN IP address. From master/media servers, I can ping the client via backup LAN. From the client, I can ping master/media server via backup LAN as well. However, the SQL backup failed with status code 41.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Hi

on the SQL client create \program files\veritas\netbackup\logs\bpcd\ directory and also a vnetd directory.

Try the backup again and then post the logs from these as well as the mssql_backup_failures directory.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Client read timeout?

"Specifies the number of seconds to use for the client-read timeout. This timeout can
apply to a NetBackup master, remote media server, or database-extension client (such
as NetBackup for Oracle). The default is 300 seconds.
The client-read timeout on a database-extension client is a special case. Clients can
initially require more time to get ready than other clients. More time is required
because database backup utilities frequently start several backup jobs at the same
time, slowing the central processing unit.
Note: For database-extension clients, Symantec suggests that the Client read timeout
be set to a value greater than 5 minutes. 15 minutes are adequate for many
installations. For other clients, change this property only if the client encounters
problems."

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Unlike file system backups where the client only ever communicates with the Media Server, SQL backups, when they run their bch file, communicate directly with the Master Server so the issue is quite possibly between Master and Client rather than Media and Client

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Steps to config SQL backups on a backup lan is documented in SQL Server Admin Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127055  starting on p. 46:

About configuration for a multi-interface network connection (multi-NIC).

After performing steps in this section, edit the script and modify BROWSECLIENT value to reflect backup lan hostname.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

One other possibility ....

If you have previously been running backups over the live LAN the client, Master and Media Servers may have cached the old IP address.

Run <install path>\netbackup\bin\bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache

This will flush out any old entries