Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Oracle RAC on windows error "Client connection time out"

Amgad
Level 3

We have Netbackup appliance 5230 as master Media Server with 40T storage

I'm tring to backup Oracle RAC on two windwos 2008 machines

The Two Oracle RAC nodes is configured as SAN Clients for backup

first I created template from server1 and I configured policy to backup from this node and choosed the template from backup selections

I configured 4 streams in the template but when I run the backup only one stream is working and other streams fails with connection to client time out.

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Are you trying to config Intelligent Policy for RAC?
If so, this is not supported.

Please read up in NBU for Oracle Admin Guide about ways to backup RAC.

I know Intelligent Policy not recommended for RAC so creaed script on client from template

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you gone through Appendix B (Best practices for protecting Oracle RAC with NetBackup) of NetBackup for Oracle Administrator's Guide  ?

This section explains different scenarios (e.g. failover name is available / failover name is not available, etc. ) and how to backup RAC in each of these scenarios. 

Once you have chosen and configured the method that is appropriate for your RAC environment, remember to create all relevant log folders as per the Troubleshooting chapter of the same guide.

I tried diffrent scenarios

like this one from Oracle white paper

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/database-appliance/documentation/protecting-oda-with-netb...

Create NetBackup Policies
For this configuration, two NetBackup policies are setup for RMAN operations. The first policy called Automatic-Oracle is setup to control scheduled execution of the RMAN script. A defined schedule is created in the policy (daily full for example), the client which will execute the script is selected, and the path to the RMAN script on the selected database node (you can setup multiple nodes for script execution in case one is down, but that is not covered in this document) is supplied as the backup selection. The only purpose of the 1st policy is to execute the RMAN script on the defined schedule. The 2nd policy which will be called OracleAppPolicy contains a Default Application Schedule and the names of each node in the RAC cluster. This policy is required to allow access to the NBU server from the Oracle RAC nodes as well as defining which storage resources are available to the Oracle RAC nodes. Since the RMAN script is executed on one of the RAC nodes, it is considered a user-defined backup and NetBackup needs a method to authorize the database nodes to access the NBU server resources for backup jobs. Authorization is accomplished via this policy. In the OracleAppPolicy policy you specify a storage unit, define the backup window and specify the clients (the database nodes). No backup selection is specified as that is controlled by the RMAN script. You could potentially have both schedules in the same policy, but they are setup separately here for a better illustration. Please consult the NetBackup for Oracle Administrator’s Guide linked in the Appendix for further details.