Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Oracle RAC

Mohamad_mohsen
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Dears,

could you help for what is the best way to backup Oracle RAC consists of two nodes over SUN Solaris using netbackup 7.5,

please give me detailed steps.

thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Best practices for protecting Oracle RAC with NetBackup is covered in Appendix B of NetBackup for Oracle Administrator's Guide http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5175

Backup choices depend on particular RAC configuration in your environment.

Please read through the various examples in the manual and let us know if you need clarification on any specific aspect.

RLeon
   VIP   

As pointed out by Marianne, please have a read through the Netbackup for Oracle guide.
Everything is covered in the guide.
But to give you a little bit of idea of what you are about to face:

There are 4 typical RAC configurations:
 1 - Failover VIP exists and backup is not load balanced
 2 - Failover VIP exists and backup is load balanced
 3 - Failover VIP is not available and backup is not load balanced
 4 - Failover VIP is not available, and backup is load balanced

If your RAC is configured as 1., then congratulations!
Backups and restores are really easy to setup in Netbackup.
Netbackup loves this type of RAC.

If your RAC is configured as 2., be aware that you will have to make a few minor tweaks in Netbackup for backups and restores to work.
In most aspects things will look very similar to if you are using RAC config 1., so it's not too bad.

If your RAC is configured as 3., things start to get a little messy.
Basically Netbackup would think it is doing backups/restores for two (or more) independent clients.
You will have to touch some scripting and Netbackup tweaking to make sure that RMAN does not run on all RAC nodes during a backup.
Restore procedures require a few config tuning as well, and can be a little confusing because you will be dealing with different node names.

If your RAC is configured as 4., well, let's just say Netbackup doesn't like it. But backups and restores will work if you get everything setup just right.
As the guide puts it, you will have to "overcome the combined challenges of the preceding (2. and 3.) configurations."
(If I get to choose) I'd just flat out tell the Oracle admin to change the RAC config or I'm not doing a Netbackup backup for it.
"Heeeeey, why don't you use RMAN? See? You don't need Netbackup....."

RLeon