cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Policy Issue

SUBHADIP
Level 4

Greetings everyone,

I have faced a peaculiar issue today. While running a backup for a backup policy, out of 5 clients, 3 clients  backup was successful without any problem. The policy attribute has multiple streaming enabled. For the other 2 clients backup has run only one stream and successful. But while checking nothing got backed up, only the directory structure. Inside file system nothing has been backed up.

Can anyone tell me the reason for this ?

14 REPLIES 14

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

Are you using ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES or cross all mount points?

I ran into a similiar problem that was caused by DFS services running.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Check the job details and see if it has a line saying stopping because of DFSR.

SUBHADIP
Level 4

I am using ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES as a backup selection. For 3 clients there was no issue, whereas for other 2 clients there were this issue. But the backup jobs have not been failed, it was successfully completed with Status 0. Even in the logs also there is nothing mentioned of files been skipped.

While opening the restore interface, I can see that only the directory structure has been backed up, inside no files have been backed up.

Master server is NetBackup 5.1 MP7 and client servers are Solaris 9 and Veritas NetBackup 5.1 MP5 installed.

Is this the flaw of NetBackup, is there any bug or something ? is there any patches or something there to resolve this issue ?  Or is this the flaw of the Solaris OS ?

Please let me know. These are critical backups and needs to be backed up.

Thanks in advance.

Stumpr2
Level 6

@SUBHADIP wrote:

.......Or is this the flaw of the Solaris OS ?

Are all 5 clients the same OS?

Mouli
Level 3

Subhadip,

Your silence makes us understand that the issue resolved automatically in the next backup attempt.

Is it so? you should have addressed your outcome here, so we may not bother much on this issue.

Regards,

Mouli S.C

Message Edited by Mouli on 02-14-2009 06:42 AM

Venkatesh_K
Level 5

Hi Subhadip,

? Are all your 5 clients running same OS and same Netbackup version ?

? When was the last time you had successfull backup of 2 clients you have specified. were there any changes done on OS or netbackup veriosn recently ?

> Try running backup from client machine and check if ur getting successfull backup.

? check if Netbackup has read access to the files on the 2 client system that were not backed up successfully.

Regards,

Venki

SUBHADIP
Level 4
all 5 clients the same OS.

SUBHADIP
Level 4

Hi Mouli,

Thanks for bothering much particularly on this issue.

The question here is why the backup policy is failing for 2 clients and other 3 clients it got successful.

If you have answer/solution please let me know.

Thanks,

Subhadip

SUBHADIP
Level 4

Hi Venki,

Yes, all the 5 clients running same OS and same Netbackup version.

I have not changed anything. This is the implementation of 5 new servers. Out of which 2 servers got failed to backup the files, it has only backed up the directory structure.

This is scheduled backup and there is no user backup configured for this backup policy and we also don't have access on those 2 clients.

Thanks,

Subhadip

Venkatesh_K
Level 5

try configuring user backup on ur client machine that is failing and try to start backup of some of ur files or ur file system  by using command "bpbackup" with log option. and check if ur getting successfull backup with good backup files

-

Venki

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

IS your policy cross mount points enabled???

If not enabled then goahead and enable that option and re run backup and check !

Let us know the output !

:) 

Ashz_Tomz
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

create a new archive policy on the client box and try to run a archive backup as a test to see if the folder contents wr archived  , use te command line bpbackup then to check some files for backup 

and execute the bplist and bpflist utlities..

SUBHADIP
Level 4

Hi,

The issue is resolved but I have no idea what was the problem.

I have copied the same backup policy and then change the backup selection as / in place of ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, but still it was giving same prob as it backed up only the directory structure. Then I have changed the Backup Selection again back to ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and then at last it backed up the whole thing.

Thanks for your valuable comments. I have not used Cross mount points as need to backup only the local file system.

But really I don't know what went wrong here. If anyone has any idea or faced same kind of a problem then please let me know. Is there any fix by installing any MP for this as the version is 5.1MP6.

Thanks,

Subhadip

Mouli
Level 3

Subhadip,

Stop / Start the BPCD on the client and try for a Backup, if the issue still persist then it should be due to a corrupted policy.

You have two options for this:

1. Create a new Policy by copying this existing Policy and then try running backups again. If you still have the problem then go ahead with the second option.

2.Create a new policy for the same clients and then try for backup again.

Please let us know your outcome.

Regards,

Mouli S.C