Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup/Restore question

Backup_Man
Level 3
Hi

Can someone please help me get my head round something
  • I have done a full OS backup of a new Oracle 10 server as requested by the DBA using the ALL Local Drives directive.
  • The next day, the DBA asked me to prove a restore so he added a text file to the /Live directory which was empty when the Full backup was taken
  • He then asked me to restore backup of the /Live partition to how it was when the full backup was taken
Now, When i restore the full backup of the /Live partition, the restore works successfully however, the text file still remains.

Logically thinking, when i restore the /Live partion back to the server to prior to when the text file was created, the /Live partition should become empty again as the file wasn't there when the backup was taken. This does not happen because the file remains so is this a problem or am i doing something wrong??

I am just using the BAR tool to do the restore, ticking only the /Live directory

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Is "True Image Restore" and "Move detection" check marked in the policy ?. If yes go to the BAR GUI and press  the small arrow located to the right for "Select for Restore"-  a drop down menu appear - select  "Restore from True Image backup". You can now locate the /live directory and restore it. Directory content will be the same as point of backup. Out of the box behavior TIR backup can be carried out two days back in time. To increase it go to Master Server properties, select "Clean-up" and increase the value.

Please note: You will only see directories doing TIR restores - no files will be displayed. That's the nature of TIR, trust Netbackup :)

TIR-restore.jpg

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Is "True Image Restore" and "Move detection" check marked in the policy ?. If yes go to the BAR GUI and press  the small arrow located to the right for "Select for Restore"-  a drop down menu appear - select  "Restore from True Image backup". You can now locate the /live directory and restore it. Directory content will be the same as point of backup. Out of the box behavior TIR backup can be carried out two days back in time. To increase it go to Master Server properties, select "Clean-up" and increase the value.

Please note: You will only see directories doing TIR restores - no files will be displayed. That's the nature of TIR, trust Netbackup :)

TIR-restore.jpg

rjrumfelt
Level 6
Never used it, but out of the box behavior for NBU basic restores would put that directory back as it was at the time of backup - IF you selected to overwrite.  Did you select the overwrite option?  Caution - this is something you want to do only if you know that you don't need the contents of that directory.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
A normal restore and a TIR restore work very different. In this issue a normal restore will let the new file remain in the directory, but a TIR restore will remove it. Also when a file is moved, the archive bit is not set and therefor not backup. But a TIR backup with move detected will however detect it.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
But in the event that Backup Man isn't using TIR,  I"m not understanding why NBU will not replace /Live/file.txt with /Live if you tell it to overwrite the current /Live directory.

Backup_Man
Level 3

Yes, I have got "True Image Restore" and "Move detection" marked in the policy

Looking up the explaination for this, it makes sense now.

The Collect true image restore information attribute specifies whether the policy collects the information necessary to perform a true image restore. That is, to restore the directory contents to reflect what the directories had contained at the time of an incremental or a full backup. Files that were deleted before the backup are not restored.

Thankyou

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
If you think the thread got a solution to you're problem, Please consider to mark it.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
NBU will not owerwrite it because it don't know the file - it hasn't been backuped. file.txt was created AFTER the full backup was made. The only way Netbackup can tell if a newer file has arrived in a directory upon restore is using True Image Restore.

Hope it clarify :)

Backup_Man
Level 3
Thanks for the help

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
It was a pleasure to assist you.