cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup SAP with DB2 Network connection timed error

MSI_iqbal
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

I have create case for helping me to backup SAP with DB2 environment, and the backup was running successfully. The day after that, my backup was error in child process "Network connection timed error" and from stdout log error ID was 518. I check it but was none in knowledge base (maybe my lack of searching). 

So, when i discuss with my dba he suggest to backup SAP with DB2 scheduled by SAP and it was work. There is somebody can share me about this case, or anybody have same as method to backup SAP with DB2 as mine? Is it harder to restore from my backup method than the usual method.

Sorry for my english.

Master Server & Media Server

Windows 2008 R2

Netbackup 7.5.0.6

Client

Linux Red Hat Enterprise

SAP with DB2

Netbackup client 7.5.0.6

Best regards,

Iqbal 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We need more info. Tell us how exactly the backup is done? What is NBU policy type?

We know that the NBU for SAP agent does not support DB2. Does this mean that you are using DB2 agents?

Have you created any log folders on the DB2 client? 
Do you have log folders on the master and media server?

What is Client Connect and Client Read timeout on the media server set to?
The default of 300 (5 minutes) is normally not enough for large databases - the recommendation is 1800 (30 minutes).

NetBackup for DB2 Administrator's Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5166 says the following about DB2 error 518 on p.137:

Cause: NetBackup encountered errors when writing a backup image.

So, we are going to need NBU logs to troubleshoot.
The above guide will tell you in Troubleshooting chapter which log folders are needed on DB2 client.
Please note that some folders need 777 permission.

On NBU master and media server, we need the following logs:
On master: bprd (NBU must be restarted to enable this log)
On media server: bpbrm and bptm

After next failure, check on DB2 client which log folders are written to. Check logs for errors.
Check in master's bprd log if connection request is received from client. See if master is able to resolve client IP to hostname that corresponds with Client name in policy.
Check bpbrm log on media server to trace connection attempt to client and if bptm process is started.

If you want us to assist with log analysis, please rename log to reflect process name (e.g. bprd.txt) and upload as File attachments.
(We do not always have the time to sift through lengthy logs, but will try...)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Will_Restore
Level 6

Event ID 518 has to do with Microsoft Backup and not NetBackup

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734329%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

>>So, when i discuss with my dba he suggest to backup SAP with DB2 scheduled by SAP and it was work

If that is working I say go that route.

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

I'm sorry, but my SAP server is run under Linux, so it is not related to Microsoft event ID. 

I guess i'm agree with you to backup that route, but i just want to know if it will affect in restore process? 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We need more info. Tell us how exactly the backup is done? What is NBU policy type?

We know that the NBU for SAP agent does not support DB2. Does this mean that you are using DB2 agents?

Have you created any log folders on the DB2 client? 
Do you have log folders on the master and media server?

What is Client Connect and Client Read timeout on the media server set to?
The default of 300 (5 minutes) is normally not enough for large databases - the recommendation is 1800 (30 minutes).

NetBackup for DB2 Administrator's Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5166 says the following about DB2 error 518 on p.137:

Cause: NetBackup encountered errors when writing a backup image.

So, we are going to need NBU logs to troubleshoot.
The above guide will tell you in Troubleshooting chapter which log folders are needed on DB2 client.
Please note that some folders need 777 permission.

On NBU master and media server, we need the following logs:
On master: bprd (NBU must be restarted to enable this log)
On media server: bpbrm and bptm

After next failure, check on DB2 client which log folders are written to. Check logs for errors.
Check in master's bprd log if connection request is received from client. See if master is able to resolve client IP to hostname that corresponds with Client name in policy.
Check bpbrm log on media server to trace connection attempt to client and if bptm process is started.

If you want us to assist with log analysis, please rename log to reflect process name (e.g. bprd.txt) and upload as File attachments.
(We do not always have the time to sift through lengthy logs, but will try...)

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

Dear Marriane,

I'm using DB2 policy to backup SAP with DB2 and done by editing sample script backup for DB2.

Ok i will try your instruction.