cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Scheduling

sunnyc_up
Level 4

Hi,

we have configured server backup with veritas netbackup 7.0, could you plz. tell me that what is the client cofiguration needed to successfully runs backup jobs without collision..

11 REPLIES 11

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What do you mean with "collision".

sunnyc_up
Level 4

Here the collision mean that when one or two jobs are running state then other jobs are stands in the queue, because of that after cross a backup start window these queue jobs are getting failed.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you are running to tape then you can enable multiplexing on the storage unit (and also needed on the schedules) so that more jobs can run at the same time.

Other than that just ensure you have a large enough start window in the schedules so that they do not miss their backup window (e.g. a window from 6pm through to 6am?)

If you cannot back everything up in the time window you have then you either need more tape drives, media servers or you need to start backing up to disk so that you can run a lot more jobs at the same time.

Hope this helps

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Initially, you need to see in the Activity Monitor as to why the jobs are queued & then go from there.

i.e. in the "State Details" column in the Activity Monitor it would be something along the lines of:

Limit has been reached for requested resource (master.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.policy)

- so the limiting factor here would be the maximum number of concurrent jobs allowed by the policy.

or in the Job Details:

awaiting resource Storage_Unit - No drives are available

- so the limit here will be related to STU drive availability!

See this excelllent post that details most (all?) of the other limits that could result in queued jobs:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/storage-units-usage-tape-drives#comment-6269781

sunnyc_up
Level 4

HI,

Multiplexing is good option, but if we going to set the backup window from 6Pm to 6am then most of jobs will be waiting in the Queue, is there any problem will be occur with these queue jobs ?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If jobs are still in the queue with 6am comes around they will then fail as they have missed their backup window

If you have so many backups to do that some would still be queued at 6am then you really need to expand the environment with extra media server(s) / tape drives / disk as you should aim for as small a backup window as possible

Always look for the bottle neck and expand the system to minimise it

sunnyc_up
Level 4

There is a option of multiplexing, could you plx. let me know that what is the maximum limit of drive mulitiplexing ?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

(i.e. maximum streams per drive on the STU setting) is 32.

You may not want to take it that far.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We have found that MPX level of 4 gives good backup performance as well as good restore performance. Enable multiplexing at Storage Unit level as well as in policy schedules.

zubair_chowgale
Level 3
Partner

i think a good option would be to increase your environment with more media servers and tape libraries.

creating a distributed environment will help you to manage your backup jobs more efficiently.

sunnyc_up
Level 4

Could you help me to setup this distributed environment ?