cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Speed Calculations

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Hi,

I just want to run this past people and see if my thinkings are right....

We have the following set-up:
RHEL Master & Media server running 7.7.1
10Gb LAN connection to switch
8Gb FC to Fabric
4x LTO7 drives in a Spectra Logic T950

Now my calculations are as folows:
LTO7 write speed approx 6-700MB/s
8Gb FC throughpout approx 700MB/s
10Gb LAN throughput apprx 800MB/s

so essentially I should get quite high speeds off the drives, locally for the catalog I get approx 3-400MB/s write speed but the test client I only get 80-90MB/s, the client is on a 1Gb LAN so I am I correct in thinking that the client will only ever be able to push data at just under 100MB/s and toi get the full performance this needs to be connected at 10Gb also

I have tried tuning the buffers but it has made very little difference to the backup speed.

The clinet is a database server so rather than lots of little files it has a smaller number of larger files

I thnk my calculations are correct but please point in the right direction if I am wrong 

Thanks in advance

Kev

Attitude is a small thing that makes a BIG difference
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

80-90 MB/sec from a client with 1Gb Ethernet is what you can expect. Going faster either requiring multiple 1G Ethernet connection in a LACP port channel or a 10GB Ethernet connection.

Hint: look into the NBU GEN_DATA file list directive for performance testing. GEN_DATA can be used for both client and media servers.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello, Kev 

yes 1Gb LAN is a bottleneck in this case. So no matter how many and how fast tape drives you have on the back end here..

Regards

Michal

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

80-90 MB/sec from a client with 1Gb Ethernet is what you can expect. Going faster either requiring multiple 1G Ethernet connection in a LACP port channel or a 10GB Ethernet connection.

Hint: look into the NBU GEN_DATA file list directive for performance testing. GEN_DATA can be used for both client and media servers.

So my calculations were right :)

Thanks for the heads up Nicolai, I will check out the GEN_DATA