cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Stream not multiplexing to tape

LT2013
Level 4

I know I'm probably missing something rudimentary, but here's my situation:

I created a policy to backup some directories on a single server concurrently. So my backup selection looks like this:

NEW_STREAM
/backup/folder1
NEW_STREAM
/backup/folder2
NEW_STREAM
/backup/folder3
NEW_STREAM
/backup/folder4

etc... for a total of 10 streams.

The policy schedule has "Media Multiplexing" set to 6, and the storage unit has multiplexing enabled, with a max of 8 streams per drive.

When I run the job, I get 10 backup jobs each writing to a different tape drive, pretty much consuming all the drives. I would expect the jobs to stream to 2 drives.

What am I missing?  The environment is 7.6.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Create another storage unit, pointing to the same device definition, but limit this new storage unit to two concurrent write drives, and then change the required policy schedule(s) to use this new storage unit.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sdo

Create another storage unit, pointing to the same device definition, but limit this new storage unit to two concurrent write drives, and then change the required policy schedule(s) to use this new storage unit.

LT2013
Level 4

Thanks! It's been a while since I had to deal with tape backups outside of an SLP.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I don't see anything wrong with your config. Maybe show us what you see? Show us STU and policy config: bpstulist -label (stu-name) -L bppllist (policy-name) -U

sdo

Yeah, my guess is that there is possibly a retention level clash... if other jobs from other policies wouldn't multi-plex in to the original config that created multiple jobs spread across many drives.

LT2013
Level 4

The issue was what SDO commented on.

The policy I created had a different retention than my other policies (this was a one-time backup for migration purposes). So when I kicked it off, it took all the drives and my regular jobs had no resources available. I created an STU with a max of 2 drives and that remediated the issue.