cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup VM with Exchange or SQL Server

Pierre_J
Level 4

Hi all,

I am looking for some clarification about the settings 'Enable Exchange Recovery' and 'Enable SQL Server Recovery' on the VMware tab of a VMware policy.

As far as I understand restores can only be made for whole Exchange Datastores ie. SQL Databases.
Is there any difference in restorecapabilities between full or incremental backups?

And can these backups be combined with an SQL Transaction Log backup? How are restores performed if I combine these backups?

Any help appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Lowell_Palecek
Level 6
Employee

There are three applications that we can protect in a VMware backup - Exchange, SharePoint, and SQL Server. I can speak knowledgeably about the Exchange case, and to a lesser extent, SharePoint. I have only a general idea of how SQL Server works, but I can get the answers if no one else provides them.

First, Exchange does not use SQL Server as its database engine.  Like SQL Server, it does have database files and transaction log files, but the naming conventions are not the same.

NetBackup provides Exchange protection in VMware backups only for full backups.  (Accelerator counts, if it's a full backup.)

You can do Exchange GRT restores from a VMware backup. That is, you can restore mail items rather than whole databases.

A non-VMware incremental backup using an MS-Exchange policy is a backup of the transaction log files. A non-VMware Exchange database restore from a set of backups including a full backup and one or more incremental backups, restores the database file and logs from the full backup, then restores the logs from the incremental backups. Exchange recovers the database when NetBackup is done restoring the files.

You can separate the Exchange database restore into two operations - restore from the full backup, then restore from the incrementals. If you do this, you tell NetBackup not to commit after the first restore. I mention this because you can combine restoration from a full VMware backup with incremental backups from an MS-Exchange policy. We tested this. I don't know of any customers who do it. I don't know whether you can do something similar with SharePoint or SQL Server.

The Exchange phase (called Application State Capture - ASC) of the backup didn't write any data to your STU and didn't create a persistent snapshot.  All the data is on the VMware backup or datastore snapshot. The ASC job did create metadata in the NetBackup\online_util\fi_cntl\ folder, and this was backed up in the VMware backup.

When you do an Exchange database restore, there are up to three restore jobs. The first is the Exchange job. It conducts a VSS restore operation around the file restores. I think of this as a transaction with VSS. The second job restores Exchange metadata from the VMware backup if it's not already on the VM. (Only the metadata from the most recent Exchange ASC job persists on the VM.) The third restore job restores the actual database and transaction log files from the VMware backup. When all the data transfer is done, the first job completes the transaction with VSS.

SharePoint restores are similar.  SQL Server restores have their own process.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I addition to above excellent post, you may also want to read through the relevant sections of NBU for VMware manual and the relevant Agent manuals.

NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide 

Search for VMware in these manuals:

NetBackup for Microsoft SQL Server Administrator's Guide  

NetBackup for Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator's Guide 
e.g. "Exchange granular clients and VMware backups"

Pierre_J
Level 4

Hi, thanks for your extensive answer.

Our Exchange environment is virtualized. Today I learned that VMware backups were already tested before I got involved. The results were timeouts on the Exchange cluster, so this proved to be a showstopper and backups are now being made using the client software (weekly full and daily diff.incr., the fulls take a long time).

Now I am to test SQL backups using the client software of using VM backups. Some 300 servers has to be processed, all weekly full and daily diff.incr. with Transaction log backup every 1 hour. Except for 1 DB using Transaction log backup every 10 minutes.

I have a testbackup running using client software which starts at ~40 MB/sec and collapsing to ~8 MB/sec, with average ~14 MB/sec.
Are these figures representative?