cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup VM with RDM disks over SAN

xxyy
Level 3

Hi All,

I was wondering if there is any way to backup VMs with RDM disks over SAN instead of LAN? ( I understand that its a VMware limitation that we cannot take snapshots for VMs with RDM disks but still looking for some work around if at all possible)

Response is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I would think the only way would be to use it as an enterprise client and use fibre transport .. but not sure if that would be supported over a vmware virtual HBA .. which leaves backing it up as a normal client with client side dedupe and accelerator .. that would probably be the fastest way but would go over the LAN

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I would think the only way would be to use it as an enterprise client and use fibre transport .. but not sure if that would be supported over a vmware virtual HBA .. which leaves backing it up as a normal client with client side dedupe and accelerator .. that would probably be the fastest way but would go over the LAN

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
NBU for Vmware Guide recommends using Snapshot Client. 1st doc to check is Snapshot Client Compatibility list for supported array snapshot utilities. 2nd doc to consult is NBU Snapshot Client Guide for HOWTO steps.

xxyy
Level 3

thanks all :) 

this is resolved as client agreed to use LAN.