Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup VMware policy type through dedicated backup lan

Acclivis_NBU
Level 3

Hi All,

I have 1 master server, 1 media server both are redhat 6

2 blade server Vmware ESXi 6 host , 1 windows VM vcenter and 6 redhat 6 VMs under these 2 hosts.

each Vm has 2 LAN,

one is management under vlan 50,The other is backup lan under vlan 45.

The backup IP, hostname of 6 VMs is configured and also put in host file of master server. Vmware server credential is Vcenter server.

However, when I select the VM from the Vmware policy It only connect with the VM through production Vlan (50) not backup vlan (45).

How can I configure the backup for these 6 VMs through backup Vlan ? 

Thanks In advance !!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

VMware selection talks to vCenter, so its doesn't really matter which IPs are configured. You could also change the vm backup selection method to VM display name instead of VM host name.

To ensure that ESX uses the backup network, add the backup network IP of the media server in the ESX host' hosts file. Do the same on the media server.

In other words, if you're on the ESX and you ping MEDIA it would return Backup LAN IP.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst

Please ellaborate on your questions.

We dont backup the VM's by connecting to them using VMware policy type, its done via the ESX hosts. vCenter will be asked for the VM's, once specified in the policy they'll be backed up via the ESX hosts on port 902. If you want to use a specific network then make sure that ESX will use that network when sending the data to the media server.

Acclivis_NBU
Level 3

Hi Riaan,

In vmware credential i input vcenter credential. When I select the VM from VMware policy I see the IP of VMs are production IP (vlan 50 ). 

So The VM will be backed up through the production IP right ?

How to configure the to force ESX svr use backup network to send data to Media ?

Because even I input the backup ip of the ESX in host file of master server ? How can I know the backup will go through which LAN ?

Thanks Riaan for your help !

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You must be using IP address of the machines as the primary VM indentifier,

That is only used to generate a list of what clients need to be backed up.

As stated by other individuals, the ESX server itself will transport via NBD to the media server.

If you want the ESX server to use a specific network to do this transport, you will need to configure your network routing according.

If the media server has a secondary backup NIC as well as the ESX, one of the easier ways is to ensure that each server resolves the other server's name to that backup NIC IP address.

If there is one NIC, it may come down to modifying some static routing on the machines.

Again, this comes down to OS level network routing and is not something that can be adjusted via NetBackup as well rely on correct name resolution and routing.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

VMware selection talks to vCenter, so its doesn't really matter which IPs are configured. You could also change the vm backup selection method to VM display name instead of VM host name.

To ensure that ESX uses the backup network, add the backup network IP of the media server in the ESX host' hosts file. Do the same on the media server.

In other words, if you're on the ESX and you ping MEDIA it would return Backup LAN IP.

Acclivis_NBU
Level 3

Hi Mnolan,

As you said, NBU always use VM primary IP identifier and it just for a list generation only.

Then how to know which IP will be used for VM backup ?