Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup a VM with disk type RDM

NAYAB
Level 4

Hi Experts, 

I have a few questions.

I am trying to backup a vm with disk type RDM which is deployed on a ESX may i know how the backup flows ? through Ethernet or FC ?

Two cases

1. Agent Installed directly on Agent &

2. What if i have backup host (ESX or NBU appliance as Backup Host)

Environment:-

Master server 8.0 (VM machine Windows 2016)

Media Server:- NBU 5240 Appliance (MSDP Pool)

Client:- Windows 2016 Hosting SQL (Using RDM type of disks)

Also i would like to know is the restore always happen through ETHERNET ? How can i choose it to run through FC ?

Any inputs on service resilency while deploying a Master on VM ? (What if my VM crashed ) Does the VM clone helps to recover ? If yes , to what state ? 

Thanks

Nayab,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You cannot perform a VMware type backup with RDM. 

This is a VMware limitation. You will see in VMware GUI that the snapshot is disabled.

The only way to backup a VM with RDM is to install NBU client and backup with relevant OS or DB policy.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6

You cannot perform a VMware type backup with RDM. 

This is a VMware limitation. You will see in VMware GUI that the snapshot is disabled.

The only way to backup a VM with RDM is to install NBU client and backup with relevant OS or DB policy.

traghav86
Level 5

Hi 

Also i would like to know is the restore always happen through ETHERNET ? How can i choose it to run through FC ?

yes if it is a VM, restore always happen through ETHERNET. you cannot setup SAN client for a VM unless if you have vHBA but this is not bestpractice

Rahul

Hi Rahul, 

yes if it is a VM, restore always happen through ETHERNET. you cannot setup SAN client for a VM unless if you have vHBA but this is not bestpractice

But when backup happens through SAN ? why it cannot be vice-versa. I always thought Backup and Restore follows the same flow ? 

Say i am using VADP to backup my VMDK disk and snapshot is taken at vserver level and data is sent to Media server through FC but when i restore why is it not flowing backup using FC ?

Thanks, 

Nayab

Marianne
Level 6

Dmitry_K
Level 4

I am trying to backup a vm with disk type RDM which is deployed on a ESX may i know how the backup flows ? through Ethernet or FC ?

-

You could use only agent backup (choose Windows or SQL type, not VMware) - type).

Perhaps for MS SQL (and ony other SQL) would be better, if you use integrated SQL services to backup, and take it into NBU after that, like a file.

Hi 

What restore are you trying to do ? is your media server is appliance or Windows server  ?

if you restoring VM using applaince it will restore via FC, if its windows you must bring the LUN online in device management.

GRT restores for VM always restore via LAN.

Rahul