cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup and Restore Simuntaneously

Level 3

Can we backup and restore the data of a server simuntanesously.

I have DB refresh to another server but i dont want to halt any kind of backups when the restore is running to the other server

7 REPLIES 7

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

Yes, technically you can do the backup and restore on the client at the same time. But operationally as a Backup admin you should be aware the backup & restore is not for the same entity just to avoid any contention.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The restore to another server does not involve the source there is no contention.

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

there could be a contention on backup device side. If you have tape device and the same tape medium is used both for backup and for restore, or when you have less tape drives than both backup and restore operation requires together, then you cannot do this simultaneously.

In other cases, especially with disk devices, simultaneous operations are not a problem.

Regards

Michal

Ok Please correct me if i am  right or not.

If there is client A and i am restoring the data of client A to Client B when the backups are running for Client A.

Will the above work.

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

Yes, ofcourse it will work. There is no relation of backup running on client A, when you are restoring backup to client B. 

Yes, barring you using the same tapes, as someone else noted.  Backup images in NBU are not directly related to each other, so the image you are creating with the new backup from Client A has no impact or direct correlation to the image you are reading from to restore to Client B.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

just to add on this..

Restore can be done via a different media server if you allow the access from the client. So, if your backup is going through media server A and utilising 4 tape drives, you can have a restore job running via media server B and utilise another different tape drive.