Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup basic disk over WAN link

jinxnbu
Level 5

Hi.. Below is the details of the envt

Prod Site

NBU 7.5.0.4 

Basic Disk STU with duplication to tape. Tape out happens once a week on Monday.

Exchange 2007 . Every day full backup to disk.

DR site

NBU 7.6.0.3

Basic Disk STU with duplication to tape. The exchange setup at DR is being upgraded to SCR.

The Exchange SCR source is at production site and the target server is at DR site. 

I understand from tech support that I cannot backup exchange using the target copy hence my only option is to backup the exchange server at prod .

Since the tape out happens only once a week if the prod site goes down completely (building falls down, earthquake .. worst case ) on a friday I am potentially looking at about a few days data loss. 

The only solution I can think of is to backup my production exchange over WAN link using the DR master. 

I have tried looking at AIR as an option but it requires MSDP or open storage.. 

Any other suggestions ?? ..to ensure exchange data from prod to be duplicated to DR on a daily basis.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

I assume two separate unrelated NetBackup domains, that are unaware of each other.  Correct?

I think your RPO, for the backup tapes, would be more like 9 to 10 days in this scenario - and not just a few days.  This copy on tape is your 'previous good copy'.

But then your MS Exchange is already at DR site, via CCR - so you shouldn't experience much actual data loss - but this depends how long it takes your CCR to catch up.  If someone deletes a swathe of email, or an application corruption gets replicated, then you would rely on your previous good copy, but this could be up to 9 to 10 days old.

The way I see it is, if the business deem it a requirement to maintain a daily 'previous good copy off-site', is:

1) Invest in MSDP and AIR the critical backup images.

2) Duplicate the MS Exchange backups to tape daily, and get them off-site sooner - to achieve an RPO of about 2 days Mon-Thu, and up to 4/5 days for Fri-Mon - depending on whether you have 24x7 IT Operations, or data centre hands-and-feet.

3) Script something to locate the required backup images, copy them over the WAN - and possibly also even go so far as to import them at the DR site.

HTH.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sdo

I assume two separate unrelated NetBackup domains, that are unaware of each other.  Correct?

I think your RPO, for the backup tapes, would be more like 9 to 10 days in this scenario - and not just a few days.  This copy on tape is your 'previous good copy'.

But then your MS Exchange is already at DR site, via CCR - so you shouldn't experience much actual data loss - but this depends how long it takes your CCR to catch up.  If someone deletes a swathe of email, or an application corruption gets replicated, then you would rely on your previous good copy, but this could be up to 9 to 10 days old.

The way I see it is, if the business deem it a requirement to maintain a daily 'previous good copy off-site', is:

1) Invest in MSDP and AIR the critical backup images.

2) Duplicate the MS Exchange backups to tape daily, and get them off-site sooner - to achieve an RPO of about 2 days Mon-Thu, and up to 4/5 days for Fri-Mon - depending on whether you have 24x7 IT Operations, or data centre hands-and-feet.

3) Script something to locate the required backup images, copy them over the WAN - and possibly also even go so far as to import them at the DR site.

HTH.

jinxnbu
Level 5

Hi sdo,

thanks for the various options.. for option 3.. i have tried 2 phase import of disk images before and it does work well for flat files. Would it work the same way for Exchange images as well ?

sdo

Hi - just seen you last question - apologies for not having seen it sooner.

Yes, you can copy the MS Exchange backup images this way, in fact any backup image could be copied.