cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup best practice for an Oracle Exalogic

LucSkywalker195
Level 4
Certified

I'm running Netbackup 7.6.0.3 Enterprise on RHEL 6. My organization has an Oracle Exalogic with many virtual servers running on it. Does Symantec have a best practice for how to back these appliances up? Is it something that Netbackup can have credentials created on a compute node and back them up using the Exalogic's native snapshot and NDMP capabilities using a NDMP policy in Netbackup? If not, is my only option of backing up these VM's to do it from within the VM like a traditional physical server backup?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LucSkywalker195
Level 4
Certified

What we decided to do was to deploy a new VM template with an extra restore volume. We restored the contents of the last full backup to the restore volume and then brought the VM down to single user mode, manually mounted the volumes up and rsync'd the data over to the primary volumes.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Don't know Oracle Exalogic, but have backed up VM snapshots with Netbackup NDMP before.

By doing this you can restore either the volume the snapshot was taken of or maybe a full VM, but not single files. Check that Exalogic NDMP is supported by Netbackup

If the Exalogic uses automatic migration like vmware it can be challenge to find the correct volume when restoring as the VM might have moved since the backup

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

LucSkywalker195
Level 4
Certified

Their documentation indicates that they have their own native backup product and processes to use snapshots and NDMP to move backups to disk or tape directly from the appliance, but not the OS of the VM's it hosts. It reccomends backing up the hosted VM's via tar or dump. So far the best method I can find is it backup the OS's and data from within the VM's. I'm working on getting added to their support agreement with Oracle so I can open up a case with them and verify this. I'll let you know. Thanks!

LucSkywalker195
Level 4
Certified

What we decided to do was to deploy a new VM template with an extra restore volume. We restored the contents of the last full backup to the restore volume and then brought the VM down to single user mode, manually mounted the volumes up and rsync'd the data over to the primary volumes.