cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup causing Exchange to crash

Jevon
Level 4

I have an Exchange 2013 DAG (Windows 2012) where in the Microsoft Backup causes Exchange to crash.  Crash occurs because a drive for the DB being backed up will unmount causing the application to panic.  The Exchange administrator will not consider using NetBackup until MS Backup is stable.  It isn't likely a hardware issue since it happens in multiple sites.  The same administrator will not let anyone else, including Microsoft Support, look at this system.

As the NetBackup Admin, what should I do?  Despite being mostly in the dark, I want to be pro-active.  Searching, I cannot find any articles that describe this issue for both NetBackup or MS Backup.

Has anyone else heard of something like this?

4 REPLIES 4

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Start from basics - 

1. Gather application event logs. I am 100% sure you will get the cause of the crash.

2. Try to backup a database which is not mounted on that perticular drive/LUN. If such database does not exist ask your exchange admin to create one. Try the backup and see what happens.

3. Try to backup from passive node. (assuming you are backing up from active node)

4. Share following logs to investigate further along with events -

bpbrm - from media server

bpbkar - from Exchange node

bpfis - from Exchange node

Will_Restore
Level 6

The Exchange administrator will not consider using NetBackup until MS Backup is stable.

Same problem with Microsoft Backup?  Clearly then not a NetBackup issue.

The same administrator will not let anyone else, including Microsoft Support, look at this system.

Now that doesn't make much sense to me.

ejporter
Level 4

I have seen a case in which disk latency causes Exchange to fail nodes in an exchange cluster.   It seems exchange clusters are fairly sensative to disk latency.    If you are running backups of an exchange cluster running on disks that are already stressed or slow, the backups may be pushing them past the limit exchange flags as unacceptable.

BTW.. this was not easy to find,  microsoft found it in the exchange logs.   The latency spikes were very short,  and did not show in other monitoring tools.

I am not an exchange expert, .. just something to look into.

sclind
   VIP   

The Exchange administrator will not consider using NetBackup until MS Backup is stable.

Sounds like a good reason to go with Netbackup (MS Backup is not working)

The same administrator will not let anyone else, including Microsoft Support, look at this system.

Sounds like you have no work to do then.