cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup data from Linux host on NFS share

Venus123
Level 2

HI,

I have my NBU master/media server installed on Windows server 2012.

I have to backup the data on a linux client to NFS Share created on a NAS device.

NBU client is installed on the linux host and I am able to backup its data to catalyst store. But when I try to backup data to NFS share, it fails.

I have created the storage unit on NBU Master server and have chosen the absolute path as 10.x.x.x:/nas/RHEL_Share. This is the path to the NFS share on NAS device.

I have created a policy on NBU and have chosen the linux host as client and selected the directory to backup from linux host.

But backup fails the following error:

Error nbjm (pid=8708) NBU status: 2074, EMM status: Disk volume is down

Please help me get this resolved.

9 REPLIES 9

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

you need to mount the NFS file system to local Directory and then create the stu using the local directory path

mount -F nfs -o nolock <server name>:<share name> <target mount point>

EX:-

mount -F nfs -o nolock 10.x.x.x:/nas/RHEL_Share /NBU_STU

then create a basic disk storage unit using the path that you used to mount (/NBU_STU in above example)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you want to create the STU on the master server, you need to check if the master can access the share via CIFS protocol. I am not aware of a way to create NFS STU on a Windows master server.
The STU path will then look like this:
\\<IP-address>\<share-name>
Confirm write permission for the master server on the share for the user account starting NBU Client service and NetBackup Remote Manager and Monitor Service.

If you want to create a Storage Unit for the Linux client to backup to NFS, you first of all need to install media server software on the client, then create the STU with Linux client as the Media Manager host and the NFS mount point on Linux client as the STU path.
Verify that the NFS share is configured with correct write permission for the Linux client and that the NFS share is mounted with correct rw permissions.

Venus123
Level 2

Hi RamNagalla,

I mounted the NFS share onto the master server using the mount command and provided that path as absolute path. Still backup didnt work.

Hi Marianne,

Thanks Marianne. But I wish to keep Windows server as my master/media server and Linux as the client. Is it not possible to backup data from Linux client to NFS share on storage device by creating storage unit and policy on NBU master/media server?

As I mentioned in the earlier post, the backup works fine for catalyst Store. i.e. the data from linux client can be backed up to a catalyst store on the same storage device with Windows as Master/media server.

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

wow...are you saying that the unix server that you mounted NFS share is just a client .. not the Media server...?  then its not going to work...

"I have created the storage unit on NBU Master server and have chosen the absolute path as 10.x.x.x:/nas/RHEL_Share."  Does it mean you selected as master server name as media server in STU configuration?

it should be media server before you can create a storage unit using this NFS mounted path...

or use windows media server as and use CIFS share and create a Storate unit and with CIFS share and use

Marianne
Level 6

I mounted the NFS share onto the master server using the mount command and provided that path as absolute path. Still backup didnt work.

I am not sure that NFS mount on a Windows server can be used as Basic Disk Storage Unit.
I can only find documentation for CIFS share, not NFS. 

Extract from  NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I  :

A BasicDisk type storage unit consists of a directory on locally-attached disk or
network-attached disk. The disk storage is exposed as a file system to a NetBackup
media server. NetBackup stores backup data in the specified directory.
No special configuration is required for BasicDisk storage. You specify the directory
for the storage when you configure the storage unit.
See “Creating a storage unit” on page 522.

Page 531 deals with 'Configuring credentials for CIFS storage and disk storage units '.
(No reference to NFS)

I cannot see how a Unix/Linux path specification is going to work on a Windows media server.

How would you go about to write to the NFS share on the master/media server from OS point of view?

If you show me STU config for the Catalyst Store, I will be able to tell you how/why that config is working:
bpstulist -label <stu-name> -U
(command is in ...netbackup\bin\admincmd)

WVT
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
Okay, so you have microsoft nfs client on windows master/media and are able to write other backups to HP Storeonce Catalyst. Are you writing to same share as the other backups?

Venus123
Level 2

Thanks all. The issue is resolved now.

I am now able to take backup of linux host by keeping windows server as my master/media server.

Marianne
Level 6
Please tell us HOW the issue was resolved?

Venus123
Level 2

Hi Marianne,

I enabled the features 'server for NFS' and 'client for NFS' on windows media server. This resolved the issue.