cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup data from S3 cloud

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Hi,

I have a department who have already got an amount of data on the S3 cloud and they are asking if this can be backed up to tape/disk for off-site storage, I know that NBU can be used to backup and restore from S3 but not sure how I would go about getting data from S3 that has not been backed up via NBU, can the S3 be seen as a client?

We are using NetBackup Enterprise 7.5.0.7 

Rgds,

Kev

Attitude is a small thing that makes a BIG difference
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Douglas_A
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Seems like an odd one to me but here goes.. 

The S3 disk must be mounted to a server somwhere to get the data to S3 you would have to backup the data from that mount. There is no connector i can think of that will allow you to attach to disk in the cloud and back it up. 

You should be able to even attach the S3 storage and some type of mount to your backup server but the process will be expencive to move all the data from the cloud back on prem. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Sulivan77
Level 4

So you want to backup what you sent to Amazons S3 cloud?

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Yep thats what the client is asking, they did not use NetBackup to send it to the S3 in the first instance.

Kev

Douglas_A
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Seems like an odd one to me but here goes.. 

The S3 disk must be mounted to a server somwhere to get the data to S3 you would have to backup the data from that mount. There is no connector i can think of that will allow you to attach to disk in the cloud and back it up. 

You should be able to even attach the S3 storage and some type of mount to your backup server but the process will be expencive to move all the data from the cloud back on prem. 

Sulivan77
Level 4

So the data they have on S3 are backups?  But backups not sent up by nbu.

Or is it more like flat data?

Sully

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Just spoken to the client and they have live data created and sent to S3 using an apllication (s3-sync I think) and they are looking to use NBU as an Off-Site storage of that live data to stop any compromisation of the live data, not sure if this is going to be possible, I have logged a call with Symantec and will see what they say.

It is a strange one....

Kev

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Just had a response from Symantec and what the client is after is not supported and is not on the roadmap, i have raised an enhancement request to Symantec to see if anything could be developed for future releases.

Only way we could do this is if we could map the data to a drive or a CIFSas Douglas suggested

Kev

RonCaplinger
Level 6

I read an article regarding codespaces.com, a code-hosting and project management services provider.  Their entire cloud implementation was hacked, extorted, and then had their entire service, including all cloud-based backups, wiped out by the hacker.  Google it for more info. 

This is one of those times that an offline, physical backup (like tape) in a physically separate location would really, REALLY be helpful. 

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Ron, this is precicely the reason why my client wanted to see if we could backup from the cloud, they also saw the repoprt that showed a company wiped out due to the cloud hack