cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec vs Netbackup

ITnyans
Level 2
Partner

i have the the folllowing setup 2 servers; the main server is on a windows platform and the remote server is running linux attached toremote  server are tape drives. i need to backup a banking application T24. i had personally chosen netbackup as opposed to backup exec but because of financial constraints management is keen on backup exec. what are the advantages of using netbackup as compared to backup exec?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

There are lot of differences and below are just few of them.

1> Firstly Netbackup is Enterprise solution whereas Backup Exec is mid range product.

2> Netbackup supports thousands of clients and the datbase is on sybase which is very stable and not much issues. I have seen on single NBU environment upto 50-100 media servers, 30000 clients.

3> On Backup Exec if you put so many clients the database will start to die.

4> Netbackup you can do multiplexing, multistreaming and lot of other options.

5> Backup Exec base software can be only installed on windows wheres NetBackup can almost on any platform.

6> Scalabiliy is the best in NBU as compare to Backup Exec.

If you have a very small environment, less data, not much clients,not having big libraries then it is better to go with Backup Exec as NetBackup is costly as compared to BackupExec.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

There are lot of differences and below are just few of them.

1> Firstly Netbackup is Enterprise solution whereas Backup Exec is mid range product.

2> Netbackup supports thousands of clients and the datbase is on sybase which is very stable and not much issues. I have seen on single NBU environment upto 50-100 media servers, 30000 clients.

3> On Backup Exec if you put so many clients the database will start to die.

4> Netbackup you can do multiplexing, multistreaming and lot of other options.

5> Backup Exec base software can be only installed on windows wheres NetBackup can almost on any platform.

6> Scalabiliy is the best in NBU as compare to Backup Exec.

If you have a very small environment, less data, not much clients,not having big libraries then it is better to go with Backup Exec as NetBackup is costly as compared to BackupExec.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

.... remote server is running linux attached toremote  server are tape drives.....

In addition to above excellent post, you will need BE Remote Media Agent for Linux if you go the BE route.

There have been many attempts to compare over the years on this and the BE forum to compare the 2 products, but features change with time and it will be best to compare current datasheets and licensing guides for both products.

The major differences pointed out by sazz are still valid.
The only time BE can write simultaneous backups to same device is when writing to disk storage.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

perhaps try this article

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backup-exec-vs-netbackup-comparison-legends

this was written in mind for similar situations where we get confused on what to choose