cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup fail (48) client hostname could not be found

KatheF
Level 1

Netbackup 8.0 E Windows Version: Using DNS for resolution:

I wondering if any else is seeing this behavior with Client backups error 48 host not found and client host cache is losing it's pointer because the client browse timed out causing the error 48. I'm not sure how long a client can sit in queue waiting for its turn to start backup and somehow loses is host cache record in the intrim. Is there a time limit on how long a host can be cached between DNS and NBU host cache? I'm speculating here..but this is the behavior I see.

I've also seen the behavior with a backup client error 48 host not found, and then it seems like it finds it and starts its backup but still shows the record as not backed up. Is this a functionality of NBU?

I have done a bpclntcmd -clear host cache, but that does not resume the original error 48 backup. All my host files are updated with DNS FQDN for each Media/master server. 

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@KatheF

I have moved your post to the relevant NetBackup forum. 
(The General Veritas is hardly ever visited by anyone.)

I am curious to know why you are saying this:

".... client host cache is losing it's pointer because the client browse timed out causing the error 48"

I have never seen, heard or experienced this.

NBU host cache is kept for 1 hour. As far as I know this cannot be changed.
This TN is still valid:
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000008194

Please also tell us what this means:

" .... bpclntcmd -clear host cache, ... does not resume the original error 48 backup."

What makes you believe that this command should automatically resume the failed backup?
bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache simply does what the command says. It clears NBU host cache and re-reads OS-level host resolution.
Scheduled backup will automatically retry as per retry setting in Master server's Host Properties.