Backup failed with error code - 86 on hyper-V media server

Sivaranjani
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

Setup Details:

Master server : Windows 2012

NetBackup Version : 7.7.2

Tape library : Dell Powervault TL2000( 2 IBM LTO6 tape drives)

Media server :  8 Windows media servers share the 2 tape drives ( 6 physical Media servers and 2 Hyper-V Media servers)

The backups running properly on the Physical Media servers, on Hyper-V Media servers the backups are failing with error code 86 : Media position error.

I have tried to use fresh tapes, those are also getting frozon. the error occurs intermitantly only for the Hyper-V media servers. The same tapes are working properly when I take backup using other Physical Media servers.

There is no problem with the tapes or the tape drives.I have enabled max verbose logging in the media servers, waiting for the issue to reoccur.

Is there any compatibility issue?

Regards,

Sivaranjani

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup only supports tape on physical servers because of issues like your are experiencing.

It is not a NetBackup issue, but with the virtual FC/SCSI connection.

Supported Virtual technologies are listed in table 3 of Support for NetBackup 7.7.x and 8.x in virtual environments

You will notice that Hyper-V and VMware are not listed here.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup only supports tape on physical servers because of issues like your are experiencing.

It is not a NetBackup issue, but with the virtual FC/SCSI connection.

Supported Virtual technologies are listed in table 3 of Support for NetBackup 7.7.x and 8.x in virtual environments

You will notice that Hyper-V and VMware are not listed here.

Thanks Marianne..

The media position error is occuring only for the Hyper-V Media server, the same tape drives are working properly with the other Media servers.

I was having the same doubt, whether Media server is supported in Hyper-V . now its clear.