cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup failing with a 4200

DoubleP
Level 5

Hello, 

For the last few days, we've had a backup that historically hasn't had any issues, fail consistently with a 4200: Unable to acquire snapshot lock. 

For example:

Aug 21, 2018 6:12:55 PM - Info bpbrm (pid=185037) Starting create snapshot processing
Aug 21, 2018 6:12:56 PM - Info bpfis (pid=8868) Backup started
Aug 21, 2018 7:15:46 PM - Warning bpbrm (pid=185037) from client jobname.company.com: WRN - M:\Shared\SQL2012\SQLBkup1\ is not frozen
Aug 21, 2018 7:15:46 PM - Info bpfis (pid=8868) done. status: 4200
Aug 21, 2018 7:15:46 PM - end Snapshot: Create Snapshot; elapsed time 1:02:53
Aug 21, 2018 7:15:46 PM - Info bpfis (pid=8868) done. status: 4200: Operation failed: Unable to acquire snapshot lock
Aug 21, 2018 7:15:46 PM - end writing

---

We are on version 8.0. Our master servers are linux, but our clients are a mixture. This particular client is a windows box.

We've rerun the backup, to no avail. It doesn't make a difference when we run it.

I noticed this warning: "WRN - M:\Shared\SQL2012\SQLBkup1\ is not frozen" Is this telling us that the NB job is not freezing the files we're trying to back up, or is it saying something else?

I haven't found anything online that answers the question.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@DoubleP wrote:

We've rerun the backup, to no avail. It doesn't make a difference when we run it.

@DoubleP

It does not matter how many times you rerun the backup - the problem is not on NBU master or media server. The problem is with VSS snapshot on the client.

You will need to work with server owners to investigate and check.
They will need to check what else is happening at the same time as the backup that could cause snapshot errors.

Best is to firstly look for VSS errors in Windows Event Viewer logs.

Ask server owners to create bpfis log folder under <install-path>\Veritas\Netbackup\logs.
This log will show snapshot errors reported to NBU. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Krutons
   VIP   

Have you turned logging up on the client and looked at the bpfis logs? Could you post/attach them here.

@Krutons, unfortunately, due to our company's security policies, we don't have access to most client boxes. I'll have to see if I can get the SA group to get the logs .

Marianne

@DoubleP wrote:

@DoubleP

It does not matter how many times you rerun the backup - the problem is not on NBU master or media server. The problem is with VSS snapshot on the client.

You will need to work with server owners to investigate and check.
They will need to check what else is happening at the same time as the backup that could cause snapshot errors.

Best is to firstly look for VSS errors in Windows Event Viewer logs.

Ask server owners to create bpfis log folder under <install-path>\Veritas\Netbackup\logs.
This log will show snapshot errors reported to NBU. 

@Marianne, thanks. I've added your comments to my internal ticket with the SAs.

matt077
Level 5
Partner Accredited

seen this before when a old snapshot as not cleared away stopping a new one taking place, if i remember right the event viewer shown this when trying to create a new snapshot. is there any old snapshots still on the system?

Thanks all for your responses. The SA group confirmed that VSS is not running on that client, and are working on resolving it.

Marianne

@DoubleP

This seems highly unlikely.

VSS is part of Windows and runs on all Windows OS's since about W2003.

NetBackup no longer has its own snapshot technology. It relies on Windows to take snapshots. 

Server admins can check with commands such as :
vssadmin list providers
vssadmin list writers

Our latest version of windows on our clients is 2012.

Marianne

Apologies. I meant 2003! 

I will edit my previous post.