Backup failing with error code 90

Mux
Level 4

Hi Guys,

i have the below situation

NBU Master Server: 7.6.1 on RHEL 6.7

NBU Media Server: 7.6.1.1  on Appliance 5230

Client: Windows 2008 R2.

The client has 4 drives with around 4.5 TB of disk.

I created 3 policies.

1. C;\ (150 GB) and I:\ (300 GB)

2. H:\ (2 TB)

3. J:\ (2 TB)

I have multistreaming, multiplexing, accelerator enabled.

The parent job is creating individual child jobs for each folders and files inside the drive. For eg: see the attached for the backup selection of I:\ drive. It creates 7  child jobs. But the child jobs for  I:\VxCJMon.dat, I:\VxCJInfo.dat and I:\VxCJDelete.dat are failing with error code 90 (media manager received no data for backup image).

I know that these files are related to NBU accelerator and these failed jobs can be easily ignored.

But i want to get rid of these failures. Even though I know it will not work, i tried adding these files in the exclude list. But no luck.

Any advise on how to get rid of this ...?

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Any Exclude list for this client for J:\ ?
or J:\* ?

If not, create bpbkar log folder on client to troubleshoot.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Please show us the exclude list from the client

Those 3 files are custom Windows change journal files and shold be excluded from backup

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH198089

NetBackup 7.5, introduced a new client property called Use Change Journal to be used in conjunction with the Accelerator feature.  When this option is enabled, bpinetd.exe generates a custom Change Journal Database which depends on the Windows Change Journal.  The NetBackup generated database files are located on the root of each lettered volume.

Example:
VxCJInfo.dat   (does not exist until a backup is performed)
VxCJDelete.dat
VxCJMon.dat

Mux
Level 4

Please find my exclude list in the attached.

I tried backup with and without the exclusion. But no luck.

Please find the bpbkar log attached.

Note: i have changed the client name to "server0001", master server to "masterserver0001" and media server to "mediaserver0001"

Marianne

Why specify files/folders in Backup Selection that have been added to Exclude List?

Mux
Level 4

I havent.

My backup selection is " I:\* " 

and in the exclude list,  for I drive, i only have " I:\VxCJDelete.dat" , "I:\VxCJInfo.dat", "I:\VxCJMon.dat".

Even these were added to check if it fixes the issue. 

Thanks.

Marianne

Do you have 'Allow Multiple Data Streams' in Policy Attributes?

This will create a separate stream for each item under  I:\*.
So, in effect you have actually specified each file name...

Remove the tick-box if you have it selected in Attributes.

Mux
Level 4

I have multi streaming enabled.

It will work fine if i disable it.

But due to the size of the drive( and considering the future growth), i need to have multiple stream enabled. 

Marianne

The choice is yours.

You cannot have the backup selection as is with Exclude List the way you have it defined.

Other choices are to disable Change Journal or to ask Microsoft if it is possible to move the location to a sub-folder.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

FYI - My testing has shown that the NetBackup Client automatically excludes the three VxCJ*.dat files - and so... if you have a policy/client configuration which selects these files - then you will always get a status 90 for the streams which are the VxCJ*.dat files.

It's a shame that the 'wild card resolver' part of the client does not also exclude (i.e. not select) these three files.

But then - what if you were not using Change Journal, and if you had a legitimate file named VxCJ*.dat - in which case you would want it picked up.

But then maybe the wildcard resolver should/could also check first to see if Change Journal was enabled, and if so, then drop the three file names from the run-time resolved list.  Maybe submit an idea/enhancement request for this new feature?

Mux
Level 4

Sdo, 

spot on...my problem is that the 'wild card resolver' is picking up the VxCJ* files and are failing with status 90.

i was thinking that i am missing something here and causing this failure.

This is failing my monitoring and standard reports.:(

May be we shall submit an idea as you suggested....

Mux
Level 4

I have submitted an Idea...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/wild-card-resolver-exclude-vxcj-files

Thanks

Marianne
The problem is not only with VxCJ* files , but with anything resolved by Allow multiple data streams that will first of all create the backup jobs/streams before Exclude List is looked at. The ideal will be if NBU looks at Backup Selection, look at Exclude List, and only then generates jobs/streams. Good luck with your Idea. I have learned that this is where most good Ideas come to die... (sorry Connect Admins ). Best way to submit enhancement request is to get hold of Product Management via your local Symantec office.