Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup fails with 23 error code after writing more than 1 TB of data

jtetterton
Level 3

Hi Everyone,

I'm having the exact same issue as reported here:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-fails-23-error-code-after-writing-more-1-tb-data

After writing more than 1TB of data, the backup will fail with an error code of 23.  The master server and the client reside on the same subnet and the traffic is not flowing through a firewall, it's all local to the switch, iptables has no rules on the client side, and the master server has no firewall enabled.  This is happening with mutliple linux clients.  The master server is Windows Server 2008r2, netbackup 7.5.0.7.

According to the link contained in that article (https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH194918.html) This was resolved at 7.5.0.5.  I'm at 7.5.0.7 and I'm having the issue.  I've opened a case with support, but they have been unable to solve the issue.  They were persistent that the issue was network related.

After reading the forumt today, I've disabled the Checkpoint feature and will re-test to see if that work around works.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

It would seem to me that therein lies your problem.  Maybe patching the client to v7.5.0.7 will help?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

sdo

When I read the TN, it seems to me that the issue is client version based, because it is 'bpbkar' which exhibits the issue, and this runs on the client.

You say your master is v7.5.0.7 - but it's not completely clear to me what version the problem clients are running.

What patch level are the clients?  What does this show?

bpgetconfig -s myclient -A -L

...and look for 'Patch Level'.

jtetterton
Level 3

Looks like this particular client is at patch level 7.5.

sdo

It would seem to me that therein lies your problem.  Maybe patching the client to v7.5.0.7 will help?

jtetterton
Level 3

I installed the 7.5.0.7 client (VrtsNB_CLT_7.5.0.7.linux.tar.gz) using NB_update.install, but for some reason, it still shows patch level as 7.5.

PS D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd> .\bpgetconfig.exe -s <removed> -A -L
Client/Master = Client of <removed>
NetBackup Client Platform = Linux, RedHat2.6.18
NetBackup Client Protocol Level = 7.5.0
Product = NetBackup
Version Name = 7.5
Version Number = 750000
NetBackup Installation Path = /usr/openv/netbackup/bin
Client OS/Release = Linux 2.6.32-504.12.2.el6.x86_64
Cipher = AES-128-CFB
Cipher = BF-CFB
Cipher = DES-EDE-CFB
Cipher = AES-256-CFB
Patch Level = 7.5

jtetterton
Level 3

Ok great, I was able to get the client updated to Patch Level 7.5.0.7.  After my test backup runs I'll report back here.  Thanks again!

sdo

Most odd.

What does this on the client show?

# cat /usr/openv/netbackup/version

# ls -lash /usr/openv/pack

Did the installer really complete correctly?

The installer should have listed for you the name of the installation trace/log file.  Any errors in that trace/log file?

jtetterton
Level 3

Updating the clients to 7.5.0.7 solved this issue!  Thanks!