cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup fails with status code 13 ?????

gskrk
Level 3

Hi everybody,

When i am trying to backup full and daily backup ...it is successful. But when i am  trying to take weekly backup it fails.........why it is happening for weekly backup ?

Can any one help me regarding this.....

10 REPLIES 10

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Operating system (master, media, and client)?

NetBackup version (master, media and client)?

Policy Type (MS-Windows, Standard, etc)?

gskrk
Level 3

Operating system (master(solaris), media(solaris), and client(windows))?

NetBackup version (master, media and client)?all (netbackup 6.5)

Policy Type (MS-Windows, Standard, etc)? ms windows

Please give me some suggestions?

watsons
Level 6

Oopss. sorry, you said it : error 13.

Can you copy and paste the exact error message found in your job details?

Also check the application event log to see if there is any specific error at that time.

gskrk
Level 3

Hi watson,

I am attaching those detsils...........

Plese check this....

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You did not mention which Windows version on the client? I see status 24's in the bpbkar log. Please see these TN's for W2003 clients: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56950
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH60844 

Please also check the Client Read Timeout on the media server that is backing up this client. The default timeout is 300 (5 minutes). This is normally not enough for backing up file servers or clients with lots of small files and directories, high fragmentation, etc. Increase timeout to 1800 (30 minutes).

watsons
Level 6

From your logs, I can see many errors like this.

An Exception of type [Symantec::NetBackup::Ncf::OperationFailedException] was thrown. Details about the exception follow...:
Error code  = (-1008).
Src file    = (d:\653\src\cl\clientpc\util\tar_tfi.cpp).
Src Line    = (275).
Description = (%s getBuffer operation failed).
Operation type=().
)
4:12:33.781 AM: [8124.8104] <16> NBUException::traceException(): (
An Exception of type [Symantec::NetBackup::Ncf::SocketWriteException] was thrown. Details about the exception follow...:
Error code  = (-1027).
Src file    = (TransporterRemote.cpp).
Src Line    = (310).
Description = (send() call failed, could not write data to the socket, possible broken connection).
Local IP=(). Remote IP=(). Remote Port No.=(0).
No. of bytes to write=(32768) while No. of bytes written=(0).

Might want to check out this (related to NIC setting): 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/client-65-socket-error-1008-1026

The client looks like a web server, did you limit connection ports? You may want to consider increasing the port ranges  (Client host properties -> Client Port Ranges) if it's a very busy server.

gskrk
Level 3

Hi Watson,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately we don't have access for that client. Anyhow we have already checked with support team. For NIC card,Client Read timed out etc etc..Every thing seems to be fine. ( Because the daily backup got successfully without any issue) only weekly backup having this issue.

Could you please suggest.

Thanks & regards,

Sri......

gskrk
Level 3

Hi Marianne,

We have already increased the Clinet Read Timed out. But still the backup is failin gwith error 13.

And more thing marianne only weekly full backup is failing, But daily backup is getting successfull.

Please advice ..

Thanks & Reargd,

Sri...

watsons
Level 6

Are you using ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES as backup selection? Try to split your data to backup separately if you are, and check which path is causing this problem.

Any firewall between media server and client, what I mean is the external firewall - which can sometimes terminate connection if it is up to certain amount of time (during backup), especially common when backing up huge amount of data.

gskrk
Level 3

Hi Watsons,

As per your suggestion we have enabled multi streaming and triggered the backup which is writing fine some data then it will fail with error 13 again.

Today we are going to check that external firewall settings and let you know the status.

Much thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks&regards,

Sri...