cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup file size/type breakdown or visualization

areznik
Level 5

Have you ever found a backup that's 2TB+ and you have to go digging to find what it is that's not excluded that should be, or what policy setting did somebody accidentally check?

I have this problem all the time and was wondering if anyone knows any third party tools or has scripted anything to make this task easier.

In the ideal world I would love to see something like WinDirStat except you point it at a backupid instead of your local drives. However, even a text representation of which files or directories are the biggest on the backup would be very helpful. I know there are plenty of tools that can be run on the client, but this doesn't work for me because of restricted access to the OS and the difficulty of getting new software installed on servers.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

bplist will will show which files are backed up in an image. Is that what you're looking for?

areznik
Level 5

No, what im looking for is (for example) something that parses bplist output and tells me which file types and directories are taking up the most space on this backup. I just posted this question to check if something like this exists already before I try to make it myself.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Ah ok i see.

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

I don't think what you are asking should be there in netbackup

However need ot check if Opscenter Analytics can give you this using sql script

areznik
Level 5

I think it would be a very useful tool, it certainly doesnt have to be part of netbackup because all you really need as input is a text file with bplist output to parse.

OpsCenter for sure cannot do this because it does not store information about every file backed up. Only the NB Catalog has that info.