Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup for OpenStack cloud

rVikas
Level 5
Partner

Hi All,

Now a days there is lot of buzz about OpenStack cloud.

I would like to check how can we deploy Backup infrastrucute in an OpenStack cloud enviornment.

One way is like building backup domain (with Master, media, storage and client) in each tenant.

2nd way, putting Master server outisde of each tenant and just - Media, Storage inside tenant to backup tenant VMs as shown  in diagram.

CommVault-Openstack.PNG

in this case Tenant VMs have to connect to master server via Media agent and vice versa.

Have anyone deployed OpenStack cloud in thier enviornment and which backup software has been deployed.

Does Netbackup or any other backup software supports KVM hypervisor to take image level snapshot of VMs?

6 REPLIES 6

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Frist a correction - Netbackup clients can't connect to the master via the media. They must be able to connect to the master server direct. This will change in the further, but for now that is the rule of thumb.

As of now, you will have to deploy client inside each VM, Netbackup can't perform any KVM based snapshots yet. The question of deployment of media server into each tenant or not is really down to network infrastructure. Personally I would have both master and media servers in a separate zone, protected with router and access list in order to get the bandwidth required - firewall is no good. Having dedicated media servers at each tenant, limit the utilization of resources. E.g Media server at tenant A if fully loaded and backup does make the backup windows, but tenants media server C-E does is idle, but can't be used. By having all media servers in one zone you can utilize them across tenets.

There is one major vendor of backup software that support hypervisor based snapshot backup KVM - and no it not Veritas, its  C.......

rVikas
Level 5
Partner

Thank you Nicolai,

I could not get vendor name in the statement "There is one major vendor of backup software that support hypervisor based snapshot backup KVM - and no it not Veritas, its  C......."

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi rVikas,

Nicolai doesn't want to say the dirty "C" word in this forum Smiley LOL

You won't find the name with a simple google search of openstack cloud AND backup, you'd have to dig into a number of web pages.

As NetBackup is not the product for you in your case, I'll help you out - It's Commvault

Good luck with your implementation.

Steve

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
It should've been obvious... the picture uploaded by @rVikas is called CommVault-Openstack.png.

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Well spotted Marianne Smiley LOL

Looks like rVikas already had his answer but didn't know it Smiley Tongue

Systems_Team
   VIP   

And he also had the answer several times in his own previous post from June Smiley Tongue

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Netbackup-deployment-for-cloud-infrastructure/m-p/774459#U77445...

Steve