cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup from disk to tape

Jess_Lee
Level 4
Hi all,
We migrated our Veritas Netbackup to 6.0 recently. We design our backup process to disk initially and then backup to tape.

Understand that to backup from disk to tape, we require a staging area. When we start to backup to tape, images from the whole staging area is involve. We discover that some of our media(tape) is in error.

My question is how to manual backup only the portions that consists of error? Thanks in advance!
7 REPLIES 7

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Jess,

You mean that the tapes is faulty and hence the images resides in the tape need to re-duplicate?

If that's the case, you can run "bpimmedia -mediaid " to list the images resides in the faulty media and perform a duplication either from Admin JavaGUI or bpduplicate command.

You may want to expire the tape & its corresponding image copy (since its faulty) using "bpexpdate -m -d 0" command.

Jess_Lee
Level 4
Thanks for your response.

What I mean is before we manage to duplicate images inside the media, the tape already show faulty. We replaced with a new tape and would like to manual backup only a portion of images assigned to the faulty previously.

As when we issue a backup from disk to tape, lot of images involve. Hence we require a lot of tapes.

Thank you.

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
You have a list of backup image IDs to be duplicate?
Use the "bpduplicate -Bidfile ...." to duplicate the require images.

command reference:
NBU command for Unix
http://support.veritas.com/docs/279299

NBU command for Windows
http://support.veritas.com/docs/279300

Jess_Lee
Level 4
The images are still resided in disk. I want to backup only a part of the files from the disk staging, not the whole.

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
The background of phase II staging is using bpduplicate command with a list of backup images (refer to the begining part of the following document):
http://support.veritas.com/docs/280067

If you're not comfortable with the bpduplicate command, another possible approach I can think of is to move out other images (those that you do not want to stage to tape) from the physical disk or directory of your DSSU, and initiate manual disk staging. After the staging completes, move back those images.

But I must say I haven't try this before (but theoretically it should work).

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Have you tried the method? Any status?

Stumpr2
Level 6
Disk staging
images on disk = copy 1
images migrated to tape = copy 2

All images remain on the disk staging unit after migration until the disk becomes full. Then the oldest migrated image is expired on the disk to make room for new images to be written to the disk. All images that have been migrated will have a corresponding file named clientname_1234567890_C1_F1.ds

You can do a bpimagelist -backupid clientname_1234567890 to see what tape the image is on and then run a verify on the tape. If the verify is OK then you are OK. If it is bad then you can expire copy 2 and netbackup should retry another migration. In theory is is OK but I do not have a 6.0 environment and I know there have been some bugs with that release.