cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup image expiration cannot be modified because its SLP processing is not yet complete

Jan_Rustico
Level 4

We are using NBU 7.6.0.4, Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard. I need to check if the item is duplicated or not. Or if it is SLP not complete, I want to forcefully put it on tapes.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I am with Amol on the commands.

You may find the SLP cheat sheet of good value:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH170086

SLP can't be forced, they live a life of their own. But you can assign a greater priority to a SLP in the activity monitor.

View solution in original post

Genericus
   VIP   

Process to manually duplicate SLP (in process)

1. inactive current duplication - nbstlutil inactive -wait -backupid #######

2. cancel current duplication - nbstlutil cancel -wait -backupid #######

Once the SLP is cancelled the normal duplication commands work. Either use catalog display in GUI and duplicate or command line. Command line allows setting alt read media server.

3. example of command line - replace Bold italic with your values.

bpduplicate -number_copies 1 -dstunit  mediaserver-LTO5 -dp PoolName -altreadhost mediaserver -backupid backup_1362126905 -rl retentionlevel# -owner All_Servers

CHECK THIS FIRST!

I have had a few SLP get "lost" since I upgraded to 7.6.0.4 - I found that the source VTL tape is "stuck" in the Data Domain drive. It does not happen often, I have not been able to replicate it.

nbrbutil -dump | grep Tape# showed the NetBackup thought the tape was in use. I had to use nbrutil commands to release the AllocationID and the media, then manually move the tape to a slot in the data domain, the SLP then went active and duplicated the image.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
you can run the below command to check if a particular backupid is completed itz SLP operations nbstlutil list -backupid -U To list all the incomplete images for a particular SLP try using the below command nbstlutil stlilist -lifecycle -image_incomplete -U

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I am with Amol on the commands.

You may find the SLP cheat sheet of good value:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH170086

SLP can't be forced, they live a life of their own. But you can assign a greater priority to a SLP in the activity monitor.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I think Nicolai meant to say SLPs cannot be forced.

To duplicate manually, you have to cancel them from SLP control first.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You are right - thanks for letting me know !

Post updated

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You are most welcome, my friend ...

Jan_Rustico
Level 4

i need these images to be duplicated. however, i got 'found no images or media matching the selection criteria(190)' when attempted to duplicate to tape.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Run a bpimagelist -backupid <backupid> -l     - does it return the image?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You cannot manually duplicate images under SLP control (as per above posts).

Have you checked SLP status as suggested in previous posts?
Are there huge backlogs?
Are there more outstanding duplications than available resources?
Have you read though the SLP Best Practice doc? http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH153154

The only way that you can manually force a duplication is by cancelling the pending duplication job (also explained above).

Genericus
   VIP   

Process to manually duplicate SLP (in process)

1. inactive current duplication - nbstlutil inactive -wait -backupid #######

2. cancel current duplication - nbstlutil cancel -wait -backupid #######

Once the SLP is cancelled the normal duplication commands work. Either use catalog display in GUI and duplicate or command line. Command line allows setting alt read media server.

3. example of command line - replace Bold italic with your values.

bpduplicate -number_copies 1 -dstunit  mediaserver-LTO5 -dp PoolName -altreadhost mediaserver -backupid backup_1362126905 -rl retentionlevel# -owner All_Servers

CHECK THIS FIRST!

I have had a few SLP get "lost" since I upgraded to 7.6.0.4 - I found that the source VTL tape is "stuck" in the Data Domain drive. It does not happen often, I have not been able to replicate it.

nbrbutil -dump | grep Tape# showed the NetBackup thought the tape was in use. I had to use nbrutil commands to release the AllocationID and the media, then manually move the tape to a slot in the data domain, the SLP then went active and duplicated the image.

Genericus
   VIP   

I set up this script as an alias - slpgo

#!/usr/bin/ksh
#

for i in `/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbstlutil stlilist -image_incomplete -U | grep Image | cut -f 2 -d " "`

do
  echo "Now activating "$i
  /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbstlutil active -backupid $i
done

This will display the backupid of unprocessed SLP jobs, and the oldest are first.

If you put SLP on hold by inactivating them ( I sometimes will nbstlutil inactive -wait -backupid ### a large job so I can force it onto a specific tape to avoid tape waste )

slpgo activates any inactive SLP jobs