cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup is Partially successfully (WIN32 13: The data is invalid) and Incremental sched is actually taking full backup.

arsalanali
Level 4

Hello Everyone,

I've running into a problem while backing up a windows client. I've selected D: drive in backup selection and created two schedule i.e FULL and Incremental Differentail. Full backup is taken on weekly basis and Incremental is taken on daily basis.

Now the problem is,

1.  Daily backup is always completed with Partially successfull status, here is what its job detail shows,

Aug 29, 2013 12:39:05 AM - granted resource  0409L3
Aug 29, 2013 12:39:05 AM - granted resource  IBM.ULT3580-TD3.000
Aug 29, 2013 12:39:05 AM - granted resource  bkpsrv-hcart3-robot-tld-0
Aug 29, 2013 12:39:07 AM - mounting 0409L3
Aug 29, 2013 12:39:49 AM - mounted 0409L3; mount time: 0:00:42
Aug 29, 2013 12:39:49 AM - positioning 0409L3 to file 1
Aug 29, 2013 12:39:53 AM - positioned 0409L3; position time: 0:00:04
Aug 29, 2013 12:39:53 AM - begin writing
Aug 29, 2013 12:43:08 AM - Error bpbrm (pid=544818) from client mail01.iacgrp.com: ERR - failure reading file: D:\IBM\Lotus\Domino\data\mail\zeeshanahmed.nsf (WIN32 13: The data is invalid. )
Aug 29, 2013 12:47:42 AM - end writing; write time: 0:07:49
the requested operation was partially successful  (1)

2. Second Problem is that daly incremental backup does not look an incremnetal, it actually backs up the same size as it does with full backup. this is eating up all the media that we have.. 

any suggestions on what is the cause of this issue and what could b done to resolve it.

btw I'm usin  Netbackup 6.5.6 on AIX server
client is Windows 2008.

Waititing for your kind response.

Regards,

3 REPLIES 3

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Looks like you are backing up the Domino data - this is rather not OK and if you would like to see the difference in the Full vx INC you need to start using NBU agent for Lotus Notes (which requires additional configuration wiht help of Lotus Notes admins).

Currently your FULL and INC backups are similar in size as the .nsf are being changed on daily basis and NBU is taking them into the backup scope. If you will run such command:

bpimagelist -client your_client-name -hoursago 240 -U you should notice only rather big difference in the no. of files backed in full vs inc and small difference in the backup size as the .nsf do are most of the data on this system.

So for that client you should have two policies:

first for OS backup - type MS-Windows (excluding d:\IBM\lotus\domino\data\* )

second for LN data - type Lotus-Notes where you will be only backing up the notes databases. here is the link to the Lotus Notes System Administrator's Guide for UNIX, Linux, and Windows for NBU 6.5 http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH52809

Also if you will take a look at your failed jobs I think on daily basis this policy is failing on different .nfs file...

arsalanali
Level 4

Thanks quebek for your response,

I got your point on separating both backups i.e windows and LN. Now could you please tell me where can i get this lotus client for windows.?? is it embeded in conventional netbackup client for windows or do i have to download it separatly.?? and what about the license.?

quebek
   VIP    Certified

This is embended in standard client SW, but needs license if you are not on the Front End TB licensing model - If you are using FET licensing model you are entitled to use the NBU agent for Lotus Notes (there is such policy type) if not you should reach out to your SYMC represenative to get one.