cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup jobs ignoring exclude lists.

Clayton_Walter
Level 4
STN,

I've got a couple of clients on one of our NetBackup systems that are not following the exclude lists during backups.  I've explicity added numerous directories to the exclude list for these clients yet whent he jobs run they still attempt to backup files in the excluded directories.  I've restarted host and client NB services since the exclude lists have been modified but I still have the issue.  The syntax I am using on the exclude list appears to be correct according to the NB documentation.  For example one of the directories I am attempting to exclude is  C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\ and I follow the same syntax for the other directories.  Is there something I am missing that needs to be done before the exclude list becomes active?  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Clayton
2 REPLIES 2

Enoch_Chum
Level 4
Do you have different exclude lists specified for the client? If you have a more specific exclude list for the client, it will use that one instead of a general one you would have created. For example, let's say you have a client A. Now you have two exclude lists for that client:

1. First exclude list excludes file c:\temp on all policies and all schedules.
2. Second exclude list excludes file c:\test on just policy B and on all of its schedules

When you do a backup of policy B, it will use the second exclude list instead of the first exclude list. So c:\temp would still be backed up since it would use the second exclude list instead.

Clayton_Walter
Level 4
Yeah, that's exactly what was happening.  I had general exclude lists I used for all policies and then these particular clients were members of a policy that had more specific exclusions that only applied to them.  It is good to know that NetBackup handles multiple exclude lists this way.  I don't think this information is documented anywhere - at least not in any of the admin guides that I looked through.

Thanks for your help!

Clayton